Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
There are many reasons for varying depths but the most frequent cause for gas, water and electric (mains) were due to the developer/ builder changing grades after the installation of the utilities.
Bingo. I know one guy that hit electric with a 10" edging pin. Landed him in the hospital. Another guy hit a 4" gas line with a trencher about 12" down due to grade changes.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Today.......

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1.../p2p-78183176/
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

that's crazy.
the last job we've been on we've been hitting stuff like crazy. in a 4 month period, we have hit gas, secondary electric, telecom conduit, and coax.
oh, and the boys hit a cleanout tee that the riser had been previously broken by public service when they installed the main.
i will say this is new construction. locate company wont mark stuff because it doesnt register as complete in they system because it ongoing construction. depths are way shallow, and some of the marks are way off.

that said it sucks to hit stuff.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Without A Drought View Post
that's crazy.
the last job we've been on we've been hitting stuff like crazy. in a 4 month period, we have hit gas, secondary electric, telecom conduit, and coax.
oh, and the boys hit a cleanout tee that the riser had been previously broken by public service when they installed the main.
i will say this is new construction. locate company wont mark stuff because it doesnt register as complete in they system because it ongoing construction. depths are way shallow, and some of the marks are way off.

that said it sucks to hit stuff.

No locator in his right mind gives depth measurements so I have to take it that the utilities are shallow. I pre-locate all of my work and have few damages. One call locators are well educated and well motivated for the most pert so I don't understand markings being too far off. I think I've only had a few miss marks and I have caught them on my search. Oh well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

most of the times the markouts are good. just here a lot of the time they cant mark something that doesn't have wire or is not energized. so were're looking for sand or DGA or something different. and some times they not there.

heres 2 pics of what we're working on.
townhouse develpment. among other things we're doing the drainage. each building has 3-4 units per. each have they own gas, water, sewer. power, tele, and cable. all at varying depths.

distance from curb to front foundation is less than 15' in most spots.
it's tight.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If I just heard the news correctly it was a Chevron natural gas line that a Chevron crew drilled though. If that is so, how the heck does that happen??
Old 11-14-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
No locator in his right mind gives depth measurements so I have to take it that the utilities are shallow. I pre-locate all of my work and have few damages. One call locators are well educated and well motivated for the most pert so I don't understand markings being too far off. I think I've only had a few miss marks and I have caught them on my search. Oh well.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is very true. I used to attend monthly meetings at the One Call center and managed a $1 mil contract utilizing Utiliquest. sat in on some of their training sessions and they are thorough. They have to be. when they were under contract with me they also had several other utilities they located for. Imagine being responsible for locating several utilities while being under the pressure of the 48 hour rule and being held responsible for mis-marks. doesn't take many to be looking for another job. Kudos to those guys/gals.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.thecablevine.com/forum/forum.php
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2013, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Bingo. I know one guy that hit electric with a 10" edging pin. Landed him in the hospital. Another guy hit a 4" gas line with a trencher about 12" down due to grade changes.
Few yrs back we hit a gas line due to grade change.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not a gas line but none the less........

Posted via Mobile Device