Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bad idea and here's why, automotive oil filter's are designed for higher oil pressure. Small engine oil filter's are designed for lower oil pressure's. Will they interchange sure, by thread size.

So here's what I do, I buy the cheapest oil filter's at the parts store. Cheap, cheap cheap.

If you listen closely an engine with a good car filter, you can hear the engine rattle at an idle. I had a 23hp kaw that almost worried me to death one time. I could hear the rattle, but the repair shop tech couldn't.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
Bad idea and here's why, automotive oil filter's are designed for higher oil pressure. Small engine oil filter's are designed for lower oil pressure's. Will they interchange sure, by thread size.

So here's what I do, I buy the cheapest oil filter's at the parts store. Cheap, cheap cheap.

If you listen closely an engine with a good car filter, you can hear the engine rattle at an idle. I had a 23hp kaw that almost worried me to death one time. I could hear the rattle, but the repair shop tech couldn't.
I ain't buyin' it!!!!

......AMF!
Old 11-15-2013, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmmm....Small engines have lower oil pressures than automotive,,,????

Im guessin you figgered this out all by your lonesome...Cause you aint gonna find it in any book...
40 to 60 psi is pretty common in V Twins...

Not buyin it either....
Old 11-15-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys,

I managed to find some U Tube vids of gauge installs demonstrating 40 to 50. They are few and kind of strange, but one had footage of a V-Twin @ Idle getting the 30 psi.
One guy managed to not show gauge footage and came back with a follow up at a later date.

I'm sure the little Briggs filter is fine and the Automotive is safe, but that little Briggs on my mower is a pain to just get a filter wrench on it.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Briggs engines have always had excessive clearance issues with their oil pumps..
They don't seem to care about this problem because the pumps still maintain 25 to 30 psi..
Put an oil gauge on a new Kohler Command twin...40 to 60 is pretty common..
Old 11-20-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Been using STP and fram on my Kohler engines for a long time now on both horizontal and vertical 25 and 27 HP. Ive had no new problems. I usually just get what ever is the combo deal at auto zone near my house. I use my mowers over 30 ours a week.