Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-26-2013, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Hello, from Tulsa, Oklahoma!

Hello all!
Planning on starting my own lawn and landscaping company. I have 4 years experience in the business, 3 of which was working for my dad's lawn business that he supported the family with for three years. (it did go under though, lessons learned) I was very involved with the business. Moved up to Kansas for 3 years and did some landscaping work for a person that had a small landscaping business up there. (She got injured so I took over a lot of work while she healed)

I have never really owned a serious business, but I do know how to go out and make money without a job. When I first moved back to Tulsa I started a little window cleaning business for a couple months and made $1200 and $600 of it in one day. Just never got real serious about it then got a full time job.

My plan for the business is to do lawn mowing, landscaping, fertilizing, tree work (more minor tree work, not chopping down huge trees. Maybe sell firewood during winter), snow removal, and landscape lighting.

My thought has been to be the blatantly more expensive business. I have been toying with the idea of using only rotary mowers. The focus of the company will be quality. I want to be the guy to go to if you want to win the best lawn in the neighborhood award. I want it to be something where I can make good money without having to have the business get to big. Want it to be small and profitable. I am a sophomore working on a associates in business. One of my worries is that, although I am experienced and know what I am doing, I may have a hard time with people believing it because I am younger.

Another worry I have is that I really hate debt, but I know I will have to borrow to get the equipment I need. I would like to find a way to keep it where my assets actually = liabilities. So that if it all goes to crap I could just sell off equipment and be free of debt. Any advise on minimizing debt risk?

Guess that's about it for now. I have more just commented that asked questions,but would be interested in replies/ opinions about rotary mower idea, debt, etc. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-2013, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.

Why would you want to have your "assets actually = liabilities"?

If you had $100,000 in assets, why would you want $100,000 in liabilities?

Why would you want to have zero equity in your business?

You should really take some basic business and accounting classes so that you can obtain a better understanding of what a successful company's financials should look like.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 11-26-2013, 02:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea, that totally sounded stupid, what I really meant was not referring to the business as a whole, but more as far as my assets that depreciate. But totally didn't make that clear.

I'm saying that just starting out I will not have a business already established that can be sold, no significant reserve of cash. I will have a loan for say, $10,000 (liability) and equipment worth $10,000 (asset) In the beginning I will have no real equity in the business. What I hope for is to find the right kind of equipment and loan payment where I am paying the loan off at about the same speed as my equipment is depreciating so that at no point I end up with worthless equipment and a bunch of debt.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:08 AM
Sponsor

Unless you have at least 18 months of savings in reserve to cover all of your daily living expenses for your business venture Don't go any further. As I read your thread I believe you are very under capitalized to go any forward. Contact SCORE and set up an appointment for setting up your business with a real plan moving forward. There is no cost, however there will be homework to be done. The rest will be up to you.
easy-lift guy
Old 11-26-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

@easy-lift guy do you mean that my business should be able to operate for 18 months without ever getting paid or are you talking about 18 months of personal savings?

I am better on one than the other lol.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Also, it appears that my edit button has evaporated. So I will have to make do with this (unless someone knows where it goes!)

I see that I messed up a couple times in my original post.

I meant to say that I was toying with the idea of using just REEL mowers.

This is one of the main things I want to talk about. Do you think I could find a niche of high paying customers by doing this? Or just lose a lot of opportunity?
Old 11-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingedgegroundskeeping View Post
@easy-lift guy do you mean that my business should be able to operate for 18 months without ever getting paid or are you talking about 18 months of personal savings?

I am better on one than the other lol.
I suggest working off the premis that you have all of your day to day living expenses cover for 18 months before you take on any additional debt that could sink your efforts before you even get started out the gate. Contact SCORE, do your self a favor before you end up regretting not taking my advise. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
easy-lift guy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2013, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, after a lot of thought I decided that I am going to hold off on the lawn business. I am going with a window cleaning business. I am also keeping the job I have part time. I already have the tools for window cleaning, and my thought is that maybe in a few years I could expand into the lawn business and be a full service outdoor company, lawn, lot, and windows. But right now I shouldn't be going into more debt.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingedgegroundskeeping View Post
Well, after a lot of thought I decided that I am going to hold off on the lawn business. I am going with a window cleaning business. I am also keeping the job I have part time. I already have the tools for window cleaning, and my thought is that maybe in a few years I could expand into the lawn business and be a full service outdoor company, lawn, lot, and windows. But right now I shouldn't be going into more debt.
Have you considered adding pressure washing to your list of services? For about $2000 you could get yourself a really nice setup. It goes really well with window cleaning. You could also offer caulking/sealing, touchup painting. You could even do some smaller landscape projects like mulch jobs, plantings, trimming, flowerbed makeovers, etc. You could concentrate on marketing these services to small businesses, strip malls & shopping centers, office buildings/complexes, gas stations, chain restaurants and light industrial areas.

Good luck.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller