Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #101  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:27 PM
TriCityLawnCareLLC's Avatar
TriCityLawnCareLLC TriCityLawnCareLLC is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 989
i may have missed it, but all your trucks or at least your 3500hd's are all 4x4, correct?
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 12-07-2013, 06:30 AM
Landscraper1's Avatar
Landscraper1 Landscraper1 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southeastern Ma.
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCityLawnCareLLC View Post
i may have missed it, but all your trucks or at least your 3500hd's are all 4x4, correct?
Yes, we plow with them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 12-08-2013, 08:47 PM
noahb195's Avatar
noahb195 noahb195 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
Posts: 976
I'm with Tri-City I want to see pictures of the shop and offices.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 12-09-2013, 10:28 AM
PLLandscape PLLandscape is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western New York
Posts: 418
Impressive. Seems like you've followed the 30 year plan people talk about in business. First 10 you're figuring it all out, 11-20 you organize and become incredibly efficient, 21-30 your operation could possibly run without you from time to time.

I agree that slow is probably the best. It's harder for younger guys, I guess myself included although I'm not "young" just business young, to see your business and want to be just like it. But often times forget to read the line where you've been at this for 30 years, not 10.

Interesting on the gas trucks. I agree with it but I know most would probably disagree with it, for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 12-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Landscraper1's Avatar
Landscraper1 Landscraper1 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southeastern Ma.
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLLandscape View Post
Impressive. Seems like you've followed the 30 year plan people talk about in business. First 10 you're figuring it all out, 11-20 you organize and become incredibly efficient, 21-30 your operation could possibly run without you from time to time.

I agree that slow is probably the best. It's harder for younger guys, I guess myself included although I'm not "young" just business young, to see your business and want to be just like it. But often times forget to read the line where you've been at this for 30 years, not 10.

Interesting on the gas trucks. I agree with it but I know most would probably disagree with it, for whatever reason.
I wish it was as easy going as you laid it out, but it wasn't. Went through a lot of ups and downs.

This originally was a family business. My Dad and us 3 brothers. Younger brother left over 15 yrs ago. Dad retired shortly after. My older brother and I,(who were the 2 that originally started this at the age of 10 and 14) had to buy both of them out. We then grew the company to about 34 employees. We had a garden center, power equipment shop, florist, and the landscaping. The problem was we were getting deeper into the red, every year.

Starting about 2003, my brother and I were at odds and decided to cut back and split the company. I took over the landscaping and he kept the garden center. After the split, I had 13 employees and was over $150,000 in debt.

It was the best thing to happen to me. I was now in complete control to do things the way I always wanted to. Now, at 2013, I am out of debt, have 22 employees, and most of all, PROFITABLE.

So, within these 38 yrs, I learned a lot about what to do and most importantly, what not to do...
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 12-09-2013, 12:40 PM
PLLandscape PLLandscape is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western New York
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
So, within these 38 yrs, I learned a lot about what to do and most importantly, what not to do...
The most vital and priceless information out there....

I know it's not as rosy as I painted it but just shows it takes a LONG time to get to where you and others are. And the road can be quite bumpy.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 12-09-2013, 04:59 PM
TriCityLawnCareLLC's Avatar
TriCityLawnCareLLC TriCityLawnCareLLC is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
I wish it was as easy going as you laid it out, but it wasn't. Went through a lot of ups and downs.

This originally was a family business. My Dad and us 3 brothers. Younger brother left over 15 yrs ago. Dad retired shortly after. My older brother and I,(who were the 2 that originally started this at the age of 10 and 14) had to buy both of them out. We then grew the company to about 34 employees. We had a garden center, power equipment shop, florist, and the landscaping. The problem was we were getting deeper into the red, every year.

Starting about 2003, my brother and I were at odds and decided to cut back and split the company. I took over the landscaping and he kept the garden center. After the split, I had 13 employees and was over $150,000 in debt.

It was the best thing to happen to me. I was now in complete control to do things the way I always wanted to. Now, at 2013, I am out of debt, have 22 employees, and most of all, PROFITABLE.

So, within these 38 yrs, I learned a lot about what to do and most importantly, what not to do...
Thanks for sharing that. Not everyone wants to share their ups and downs. Thanks Again!
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 12-09-2013, 09:38 PM
ducnut ducnut is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: central IL
Posts: 1,460
I don't even know what to say to this thread. It's so full of WIN and getting things right. Your equipment looks great. You have everything possible and stuff most of us can only dream about (because they don't make business sense). I can't fathom the enormity of running a company of this size, either. You're getting it done. WOW!
__________________
1st Class Lawn Service

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 12-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Landscraper1's Avatar
Landscraper1 Landscraper1 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southeastern Ma.
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCityLawnCareLLC View Post
Thanks for sharing that. Not everyone wants to share their ups and downs. Thanks Again!
Just trying to keep it real!!
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 12-10-2013, 08:15 PM
wayside's Avatar
wayside wayside is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ny longisland
Posts: 527
Great to see another Portuguese Landscaping company! Great fleet you have.
__________________
www.wslandscapinginc.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 PM.

Page generated in 0.07512 seconds with 8 queries