Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you had every right to drop her. In fact, you should have stayed firm the first time.

Problem customers are always going to be a problem. They have their reasons for doing what they do, no need to think "now why did she do it herself???" With the amount of time she "saved" you, you could have scheduled another job or 2. She cost you more than $50. She also broke her agreement with you. What would happen if you broke your agreement with her? I bet she'd be fired up and drop you!

Your business is exactly that: YOUR business. I think you did the right thing though.

The only thing I think you could work on (myself included ) is when another situation like this comes up, relax, think it over, THEN make your final call. Jumping too fast sometimes could cost you a lot more.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

OP you did the right thing dropping her.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-14-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

grassmonkey, i've been thinking it over for 5 years I think it may have been a case of me being a mr. nice guy/yes man in the beginning that caused me to go back, but then she started up again after i agreed to go back "well, it's really not that bad, etc." The whole point of regular service is to never have your account looking bad. I actually feel sorry for her, because i've been around long enough to know what she's in for. She's been spoiled by me for 15+ years, and thinks she can take over. That's the frustrating part.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is always a struggle for everyone , we tend to take things personally , just look back at when you haggled someone down on a price or cancelled a service cause you did not need it. The more you deal with this stuff the more you get use to it, what helped me get over the hump was completely separating PERSONAL / BUSINESS when you first start out you tend to work for people you know etc etc , as your business grows these first clients that are high maintenance and low profit begin to stand out , best thing is to always look at this from a business stand point , create a business model / plan to maximize your profits and slowly build to that by weeding out the people that do not fit that model , they will be a good customer for the new guy starting up , If you need the extra work to fill the schedule then keep the client , if you do not then get rid of them and when you have the ability to replace them go ahead , this way you are doing whats best for your business not what the client wants , this will make you feel better as well , years of lawn care will make you cold or stress you to death , I would go the cold route , its business the less personal you get with clients the less they will squeeze you for those freebies and stuff. That does not mean you do not be polite and professional though. Just my opinion , don't lose sleep over it your customer is not its just business , next spring offer her a contract with everthing laid out for her if she does not follow through on agreement then do not resign account. What I would do.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If the customer cared they wouldn't have done the work themselves. Sounds like they're both better off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2013, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bottom line is things change, our business needs change and customers needs change. Its somewhere in the middle that the money changes hands.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Bottom line is she is the one who is paying you, obviously you couldn't stand for her raking her own yard so you cut her loose. No big deal and certainly no reason to get upset. It is a business, customers come and customers go. Leave your emotions at home and take care business.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
This was one of my very first customers. A few years ago, after she wanted me to skip fall/winter when there was tons of debris to clean up, i politely dropped her; or tried to. She begged me to come back, and said that she wouldn't interfere with my schedule, and she trusted my judgement. I dropped to 3 weeks for fall/winter, so it's a small price to pay to keep her yard maintained. Yesterday, i get a text saying that she raked the front and back, and don't show up. I'm especially angry because i just cleaned it up (azaleas, vines, etc.) to make it easier for both of us. It WILL get out of control, and she doesn't see it. If i have accounts that require no service for fall/winter, i'm okay with it; it was already established. This $50 for the day would have helped me alot, and i was looking forward to it. I didn't expect my reaction, but i was fuming. I felt she was taking money out of my pocket, disrespecting me, not realizing what she is doing, and preventing me from possibly getting a year-round account. She pretty much wants to switch to 6 months on, 6 months off. I couldn't do it. My anger got me. I let her go. She whined via text, but i couldn't go back and listen to her money woes. She takes trips twice a month, has new car, and eats out. Give me a break. I'm wondering about the forum members' approach or mindset when it comes to control of the property/account. Basically, do you feel that you are in charge of maintaining the property, or do you feel like they are in charge of maintaining the property? If your customer did your yard work, and told you not to show, how would you handle it? I understand the opinion that the customer is always right; just looking for feedback. Thanks for reading.
well it is her yard and her money, so you have to keep that in mind. Also it's always good to keep the big picture in mind before you drop someone: do they pay their bill on time? Do they complain much? Are they friendly? Is their lawn profitable? Is it in a good location? etc etc......

I'll be dropping several accounts this next spring but this is only after careful consideration; it's never a good idea to drop someone in the heat of the moment because you might very well have a change of heart after you calm down and think about the consequences.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If she's hogging a time slot you know you can fill, then you're better off without her. But you shouldn't get pissed when someone wants to do their own fall clean up. Some of my largest, most expensive lawns have owners that do the clean up, or do some of it. One guy does it cuz he likes the exercise of working outside all day, one guy has a really nice john deere tractor that he likes to suck up leaves with, but still has me do a final clean up anyway, some just don't have enough trees to warrant the service, and would rather just rake it themselves. It is what it is. You want a clean up? Great, here's the price. You don't? Great, see you in the spring, have a nice Christmas.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We were established for 15 years. Too much for her to handle. A couple of times, she let it stack up, and didn't want to pay the extra amount i quoted her. She also cancelled the night before this time. I could go on, but i just couldn't take it anymore. I see where you're coming from though. I have some accounts that i don't do for 5 months.