Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-16-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I look at it this way. I'm not going to force anyone to do anything they don't want to do. I can state my case and shell out my opinions and advice on a matter, but it is up to the homeowner to either heed my advice and suggestions or take care of a matter themselves. Most of my clients never touch any part of their lawn and landscape and we have an agreement in place that lays out the scope of services I will provide to maintain said lawn and landscape. Other people just want to use my services for the least frequency they can possibly get away with because they just don't care about their lawn and landscape. I take the money that they will part with and provide the services that they ask for. I do this as long as the arrangement is financially beneficial to my company. I take on work that I am comfortable doing. If it isn't a comfortable situation then I pass. I expect the same from a client. They will hire out the work they want taken care of, whether it's full service or less than what we would like. You aren't going to change someone's mind if they don't or won't allow it and that's okay. If you feel like the "my way or the highway" approach is what you feel comfortable with, then stick with it. I just know that I can't pry any more cash out of a client's wallet than they are willing to give me. I'm very up front with clients who don't see the big picture and would like to skip this service or that service. If I don't take care of the leaves during the fall or early winter, then one of three things is going to happen and I'm comfortable laying the options out for the client. 1. The client will take care of them before the spring comes. 2. I'm going to give the client an estimate for taking care of them in the spring before the grass needs cut and I will do them then. 3. If 1 or 2 doesn't happen, I would most likely sever ties to the client. I'm okay with those choices. They aren't mine to make. I can't force a client to deal with leaves. I can only spell out the options the client has to remedy the issue if my company is going to remain in the mix.