Thread Tools   Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 07:20 PM
heritage's Avatar
heritage heritage is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,251
Originally Posted by Victorsaur View Post
Thanks Barry, interesting and educative content. The problem now is those circumstances where tilling is a necessity. How does one balance between allowing soil microbiology to build and tilling as required, and furthermore creating a circumstance where the soil becomes self sustained? How many tillings does it take to ruin a soil? Is it even possible to find an optimum in between stage? This video blew me away by the way, very informative.
Perhaps leaving more stubble on a cornfield to raise the Carbon content could be one example....

In turfgrass keeping an eye on C/N ratios, and adding more Carbon as an Input on Mineral Soils. When you add N, be sure to add some C with it. Keep the soil fed and productive.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 10,091
Originally Posted by heritage View Post
You should watch the video Axe.

Some forms of life in the soil food web can feed on weed seeds.

That sounds organic to me.
Corn meal gets 80% after 2 years... the other 20% fill up the lawn with weeds... I didn't spend a lot of time with that story either...
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:58 PM
phasthound's Avatar
phasthound phasthound is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mt. Laurel, NJ
Posts: 4,473
[QUOTE=Smallaxe;4902708]I'm only asking if there is anything new... don't want to sit through an hour of repetitive info, which is why I asked... sorry to have bothered... /QUOTE]

Yeah, you're right. Don't waste your time.
Barry Draycott

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:06 PM
foreplease's Avatar
foreplease foreplease is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Joseph, MI
Posts: 1,788
I just watched the 30 minute one on cover crops and crop diversity by mistake. It was very well produced. First time I ever heard of any kind of overseeding by airplane. Something that was said that is true for any of us in turf is "Local conditions and sound judgment will always play a role." it was quite interesting. I was in that camp that thought most of the reason for cover crops is soil erosion prevention - which is reason enough for anyone who has ever seen any documentaries on the Dust Bowl in the mid-1930s. I do wonder what these same people would advise for root vegetable crops such as turnips, sugar beets, potatoes, carrots, peanuts. Crop rotation may be all that can be done as some significant soil disturbance is necessary for root crops.

Now I am curious about the other video. Will take a look at it sometime soon. Thank you.
Michigan PABL
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:59 PM
americanlawn's Avatar
americanlawn americanlawn is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
Join Date: May 2006
Location: midwest
Posts: 5,840
I stand with Smallaxe on this issue.
Proud subscriber of TURF Magazine. (thanks Ron)
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Layout Style:

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Grand View Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:59 AM.

Page generated in 0.05911 seconds with 8 queries