Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-28-2013, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Solution for moles and voles?

First, I am am in North Carolina. We have a specific mole that is on the endangered species list and we are not able to use products that kill moles.

So when asked by customers what we can do my normal response is .... Not much.

I will inspect for grubs and treat if they are a problem, but advise that grub control is not a guaranteed solution( most people think if they have moles they have grubs)

Next is suggestion of repellents. I tell them this is something they can try as I have not tried any or seen results from trials.

I will not use the method of exclusion because I do not have the time or want to bury chicken wire etc.

-- so is there anything legal you guys have used that worked? Maybe there is a repellant that you applied per request at the sight of tunnels?

They have been a real problem all year in 2013 and if I had a solution could really sell it to customers.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't believe moles are protected??? How can you repel a mole? lol Anyways, we use the 'Mole Eliminator Trap'. It get's 'em every time. There's a copy cat trap called the 'Easy Mole Trap', but it's made in China. The 'Mole Eliminator Trap' in made in the USA (Indiana).

I caught 9 moles in my lawn a couple years ago. No mole activity since then. Our customers are extremely happy with the results too. We charge $50 to come out & set the trap, and they keep the trap for life.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2013, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Year before last, I used something like 6-8 boxes of Talparid on one lawn. At around 60/box--do the math. Anyway, I have had the best luck in using a piece of Exlax (generic from CVS) and a tablespoon of that stuff in the yellow cone (Sweeney's). Drill a hole in the tunnel being careful not to touch anything with you hands (I use rubber gloves) drop some of the Sweeney's and a piece of the Exlax in the hole and cover with a brick. DO NOT FILL IN THE HOLE. Works in SC--hopefully for others. I even use it at my own house.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you cannot kill them perhaps natural enemies are a possibility. Can you get a rattlesnake? Ferret? Eagle?
Maybe not, LOL!
Is it legal to tie a dog in the yard for a few hours? I am not a dog expert--but a beagle or a small dog the likes to dig would scare the bejesus out of any kind of mole. Maybe even the scat would be effective. Just pick up the dog on your way back to the office.

10 years ago--there was a company that marketed coyote and bobcat urine as an animal repellent. I am not sure if it was honestly authentic--not sure if it would work.
Myself I would never sleep in a bed soaked with bobcat urine.
http://www.predatorpee.com/
Old 12-28-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a few customers buy these, they say the vibrations they put into the ground keeps them away. Not sure if it really works or not but the few that uses them don't have the moles.

They do however look tacky. lol
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
I have had a few customers buy these, they say the vibrations they put into the ground keeps them away. Not sure if it really works or not but the few that uses them don't have the moles.

They do however look tacky. lol

Yes, the windmill flowers work

I have a ant spray customer with the solar powered electric Ground Vibrators. They been working for the 3 years. Northern Tool and Harbor Freight both sell them.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The ground vibrating thing is OK under certain conditions...BUT...I would be afraid that my house might fall into a hole. If I lived in Florida, I would stick with black magic--just look in the Yellow Pages for a practitioner.

http://www.blackmagicspells.org/powerful-spells.php
Old 12-29-2013, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a repellant product out there that I have heard from a supplier that works good. Doesn't kill pest. Cant remember but I will post when I do.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
The ground vibrating thing is OK under certain conditions...BUT...I would be afraid that my house might fall into a hole. If I lived in Florida, I would stick with black magic--just look in the Yellow Pages for a practitioner.

http://www.blackmagicspells.org/powerful-spells.php

I glad Black Magic works for you. Black Magic seems to appeal to those with a below normal I Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshutter View Post
There is a repellant product out there that I have heard from a supplier that works good. Doesn't kill pest. Cant remember but I will post when I do.
Castor Oil is suppose to be a repellant. However It has never worked for me. Here in my area of Florida we very Sandy soil, Maybe that is why the Vibrators work so well.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I hired a couple of cats. They work for cheap too! Only problem I have with them is that they leave proof that they are not slacking on their job duties in some of the most obvious places...

If not cats, I've heard the vibrators work pretty well. Not sure what the brand name is but I'm pretty certain its not "Trojan"...