Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-10-2003, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

And don't forget that the leads you generated from mailers, etc. are golden. Keep them in your records and check back with them. Just because they chose another company does not mean the account is lost. Keep it up, and I do agree it is a little early for maint. agreements. Check properties for other work right now. What can you give your prospects that others are not. 2cs
Old 03-10-2003, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your message has to intersect with someones needs. Maybe you're telling them all they need to know in your flier or ads. Don't do that. Just pique their interest and make them want to call. Most "selling" is done face to face. I went through the spring thing last year and got numerous customers simply because of the way I talked(they told me). A lot of guys are uneducated and reply with "duh huh" and similar phrases. Realize it takes time to get quality customers.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fantasy Lawns
Still kinda early to expect new clients .... most of us go back to weekly cutting 1st of April ... although some may not need it but the edging n such keeps it looking tight

You'll find by June many of the flyby nighters drop out when the heat really gets goning .... n calls really start coming

Keep up with the door hangin n keep your expectations up

Just because they don't take your bid does not mean it was low balled .... they may have a service n are checking others .... or a variety of reasons .....

But yes lots of em out here with no clue .... we just lost a basic account for someone giving full service at same price ... he'll learn

Anyways it's gonna take time .... when I first started I was doing jobs for much less than I charge now .... just to be working n out there to be seen

Hang in there
I could not agree more. Hang in there and the best of luck to you.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get out there with more flyers.

500 ISN'T GOING TO DO IT!
Old 03-10-2003, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Fantasy Lawn said it best. When it gets hot and the newness wears off, they will drop like flies.

Put your name out there. Even though they dont call now, at least when they do need someone, your name will be fresh in thier mind. Target specific areas. Ask for the business.

LIke Hoss said, 500 isnt enough. From what I've read, a 1% return is about as much as you can expect from fliers. Put your name (professionaly) on your trailer and truck. Each time you are cutting, they will see who is there and connect the job with the name. Just make sure that you are doing a stellar job. You wouldnt want to get your name confused with poor work.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Re: Cant Get It Going

[QUOTE]
I have had 2 4 week ads in the local rag, hung 500 door hangers, and mailed 100 fliers, and have had 8 calls given only 4 estimates all of which have been underbid by low ballers.

I have had the same problem in the past. I have found that you should expect a 1% responce per hundred, with a 3% responce being very good.
I try to get doorhangers out on a regular 3 week interval, as well as taking a few minutes to "walk the street" and put them out when I'm done with one of my regular accounts. This keeps your name fresh on their minds. As it's been mentioned, it does take time to build up a good base, and all the "fly by nights" go bankrupt and disapear by June. They can't afford all the high payments for the new equipment they bought in March.

Try to get your door hangers out on a consistant basis. Keep Pluggin. :blob3:
Old 03-10-2003, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Start knockin doors.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't get discouraged. The economy is down and times are a bit tougher. More people are price hunting but that does not mean that there will not be any customers for you.

Call those people that you bid and ask them straight out what was the main reason that you lost the bid. Well first ask if the job was awarded. They might of changed their mind about paying to have it done.

Build relationships with these people....that is what humans want.

Just my thoughts.

Adrian