Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Wanted Rock Picker/Landscape Rake

I am in the market for a rock picker/landscape rake that will pick and collect rocks as small as 1/2" from a 8 mile trail system. The trail is uneven in some places and there are larger rock crowns that protrude in various spots. After very heavy rain storms the trails are smoothed over with a grader and the low spots refilled. The small stones are kicked up from ATVs, horses and other animals on the trails and of course the storms.
The main issue we have is that most of the equipment out there is designed to be pulled backwards, and driving a skid steer down 8 miles of winding trails going backwards is not feasible. Does anyone know of something out there that can be put on the front of the skid steer and operated going forward to do this type of job?
Old 11-15-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2000 View Post
I am in the market for a rock picker/landscape rake that will pick and collect rocks as small as 1/2" from a 8 mile trail system. The trail is uneven in some places and there are larger rock crowns that protrude in various spots. After very heavy rain storms the trails are smoothed over with a grader and the low spots refilled. The small stones are kicked up from ATVs, horses and other animals on the trails and of course the storms.
The main issue we have is that most of the equipment out there is designed to be pulled backwards, and driving a skid steer down 8 miles of winding trails going backwards is not feasible. Does anyone know of something out there that can be put on the front of the skid steer and operated going forward to do this type of job?
Landscape rake, rockhound etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2013, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

The rockhound type of landscape rake is designed to be pulled going backwards. Using it going forward is possible (and not recommended by the manufacturer), but we are concerned that hitting a protruding rock crown with the cutting edge will damage the equipment or the skid steer.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Harley rake, you won't break it. You can windrow all rocks to one side or the other.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Really looking for something that would be able to just skim the surface of the path and pick up the rocks at the same time. I recently found the turf rake by H Barber, has anyone used this machine?
Old 11-19-2013, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2000 View Post
Really looking for something that would be able to just skim the surface of the path and pick up the rocks at the same time. I recently found the turf rake by H Barber, has anyone used this machine?
You're making this too complicated. Rock hound or Harley rake. You can use them both going forward.

I wouldn't waste your money on the turf rake

If you want a cheap solution get a landscape rake for a tractor
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2013, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your turf rake is a landscape rake on steroids. We use the 6b all the time. Never have any problems
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I have one for a skid steer I'm looking to sell.