Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2013, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

estimate

can you guys give me your opinion on what my estimate worksheet will look like for next year i attached it
Attached Images
File Type: pdf estimate.pdf (22.1 KB, 159 views)
File Type: pdf lawn bill.pdf (111.3 KB, 108 views)
Old 11-15-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

made a correction alrready myself updates estimate please post opinions
Attached Images
File Type: pdf estimate.pdf (27.0 KB, 81 views)
Old 11-15-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

looks like it spilled over to a 2nd page.. maybe add an "other" category??

not sure im a start-up myself for next spring but that is what i can see just glancing at it quickly.

Also its always good to ask for referrals... as an insurance agent, this is what i do all of the time. so at the bottom where it says thanks for your business, you may want to also mention "I appreciate referrals" or something along those lines...
Old 11-15-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why have columns for once, weekly and bi-weekly?

Why not just ask them up front how often they want service and make an estimate for the service they want? Obviously, you will want to steer your potential clients towards weekly service. Why tempt them to choose bi-weekly service?

"Gee, should I pay him $50 every week or should I pay him $60 every two weeks?"

You are "shooting yourself in the foot". You are giving the client a more attractive offer of paying you $120 for 2 mows over a 4 week period instead of paying you $200 over the same 4 week period.

Also, do not itemize your charges. Don't tell them what your individual charges are for mowing, trimming, edging, blowing. Give them one price which includes the services of mowing, trimming, edging, blowing.

By listing the prices of each individual service you are calling attention to the price of that particular line item…"I'm not paying $xx.xx extra for blowing the grass clippings, that's ridiculous! I don't want that. And only edge every other visit because I'm not paying $xx.xx every time you come because edging doesn't really need to be done that frequently."

Frequency of Service: Weekly
Price: $75
Services include mowing turf, trimming turf, edging turf, blowing grass cuttings off hard surfaces (driveways, walkways, etc.)
Consider listing additional services on your estimate and write "prices available upon request"

Consider having a separate form for all your additional services and consider a "blank" format where you write/type in the blank space whatever service the client wants. List everything they want to have done and give them one price for everything they want to have done.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 11-16-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like your logo. It is simple yet attractive. Customers will want to know how to reach you. Don't make it hard to say yes or difficult to complain; put a cell number and e-mail address on all your forms. The practical side of this on the front end is that right now you have only made impossible to say "yes" in person at the time you hand them the estimate.

Regarding the logo and business name, I think it will be a turn-off to many people if you show a business name but ask them to make checks payable to you personally. Spend the money necessary to get legally organized. This could be as low as $25 at your county courthouse (in my state anyway) to file a d/b/a good for 5 years. The next step up from that is probably a LLC. I don't know your circumstances but suspect that is something you can grow into later.

It is hard to figure everything out in advance but important to try and to have a plan. So, congratulations for getting started. Experience can be a steep learning curve. There will be things you don't or can't anticipate. Keep reading here on lawnsite. There is an amazing amount of information and experience here. Good luck with launching your business next Spring!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Member

thank youi for all the advice i actually have a business account with my name so i can take checks thru my business name i just frogot to change that
Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Member

and when i give a estimate i dont put the individual price for mowing blowing and trimming thats for someone who would only want just mowing or someione that would only want trimming ..... heres the corrected one
Attached Images
File Type: pdf estimate (3).pdf (25.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf lawn bill.pdf (112.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-18-2013, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

on your lawn bill you forgot the n in concerNing. Other then that it looks fine
Old 11-18-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlmct View Post
and when i give a estimate i dont put the individual price for mowing blowing and trimming thats for someone who would only want just mowing or someione that would only want trimming ..... heres the corrected one
By having blank price spaces on your estimate for items that are included in your package deal of "mowing, trimming, blowing" you are tempting your potential client to ask you to provide an estimate with an itemized price list.

Example:

You give me an estimate for $50 for mowing, trimming and blowing.

I see that you itemize your prices so I ask you, how much for the blowing?

You say $10.

I ask you, how much for the trimming?

You say $10.

I say, OK...just mow it for $30.

Now if, from the beginning, you were just pricing the job for mowing only, you might have priced that mow only job at $35. The potential client will not hire you at $35 to mow because he knows that $50 - $10 - $10 = $30 not $35.

Now you can either accept the job at $5 less than you really want to charge or you can turn down the job. Either way you are hurting your company…working just as hard for less/no profit or...turning down work earning you the reputation as the guy who won't do the work for the estimated price or…even worse...if you try to get the potential client to agree to $35 for a mow only job…that will earn you the reputation as the guy who tries to sneak in a price increase when you go to sign on the dotted line.

Do you have a bunch of potential clients calling you to get estimates to come blow off their driveways and walkways after their regular lawn mowing guy has left? Can you make any money driving to and from someone's house just to blow some grass clippings? Can you be competitive with your price when compared to the guy who is already on site servicing the lawn?

Do you have a bunch of potential clients calling you to get estimates to come trim the lawn after their regular lawn mowing guy has left? Can you make any money driving to and from someone's house just to trim? Can you be competitive with your price when compared to the guy who is already on site servicing the lawn?

I don't know what potential clients in CT expect as standard lawn care service. In my area, everyone expects that standard lawn care service will include mowing, trimming, edging and blowing.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 11-18-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

you are correct.... thanks for pointing that out i will edit that .. not to be nosey but do you have a example of how your estimate worksheet looks like