Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
Sounds like you might need clients who are more responsible and don't make false claims that "the emailed invoice must have gotten lost"…that's a bunch of BS…you're being played.
I agree. 100% of my bills are emailed. All of my clients KNOW to expect a bill at the end of the month. Reason being I state this from the BEGINNING. Then again all communication is done through email. Sometimes the initial contact is by phone. Reason being I always of documentation of date and time of contact.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQL10 View Post
I email all my invoices except for I think two only because I know I will get the run around. Always get paid on time and just keep up with entering expenses on a daily basis. Like others have said, ipad with quickbooks is a great thing. You can enter the information on the go.
Are you doing quickbooks online version? I have the desktop version on mac. I would like to be able to do this but I think you have to have a quickbooks online account?
Old 12-23-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshutter View Post
Are you doing quickbooks online version? I have the desktop version on mac. I would like to be able to do this but I think you have to have a quickbooks online account?
Subscribing for this. I also have the desktop version on Mac.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshutter View Post
I use the desktop version but I use an app on my iPad and iPhone called logmein and I can access my computer from any device that I want. I am also using Dropbox as well which is another fantastic app
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2013, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ive looked into logmein. Are you using the free or pro version? Thanks
Old 12-23-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a year of LogMeIn pro version. I use quickbooks and Service Assistant from Real Green. I am trying to keep a better hold of the office part of the business. With the way the Real Green software works, I can create an email quote almost immediately and email it to the client. I am a new user, just about 5 months into it. Im hoping that by using logmein, I can keep things in order on a daily basis.
Greensboro NC
Old 12-25-2013, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread regarding e-mailing invoices. I didn't expect the topic to have any further interest.

But, now that several have responded favorably to the idea (opposite of my experiences), I have one more question. What is in your Subject line? I am presuming the actual invoice is an attachment *.pdf file.

I have two thoughts about why mine sometimes never reach a reader. One is the spam filters activate and take out the message. The other is that my message gets through, but is missed in the maze of other junk in the IN box.

My Subject line: November (or appropriate month) Invoice from [ .... my name ].

I thought having my name would help it get notice (something unique). And, I thought the month would also help (denoting timeliness). Maybe the word Invoice is a keyword for spam detectors, I don't know. I also know that some detectors take out anything with an attachment, regardless of any other part of the message. If there is a better Subject line, I would like to hear it.

Thanks.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
My apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread regarding e-mailing invoices. I didn't expect the topic to have any further interest.

But, now that several have responded favorably to the idea (opposite of my experiences), I have one more question. What is in your Subject line? I am presuming the actual invoice is an attachment *.pdf file.

I have two thoughts about why mine sometimes never reach a reader. One is the spam filters activate and take out the message. The other is that my message gets through, but is missed in the maze of other junk in the IN box.

My Subject line: November (or appropriate month) Invoice from [ .... my name ].

I thought having my name would help it get notice (something unique). And, I thought the month would also help (denoting timeliness). Maybe the word Invoice is a keyword for spam detectors, I don't know. I also know that some detectors take out anything with an attachment, regardless of any other part of the message. If there is a better Subject line, I would like to hear it.

Thanks.
Make sure your email account settings has your company name entered so that the company names appear in the recipient's inbox as From: "your company's name"…if you don't enter your company's name in the settings the email will show up in the recipient's inbox as From: "youremailaddress@whatever.whatever"

For the subject line use either the client's name or address or both then Your Account Summary.

So it should look something like this in their inbox:

A. W. Landscapers, Inc.
Joe Smith 123 Oak Ave Your Account Summary
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 12-26-2013, 05:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A.W. ... Thanks for those suggestions.

At a family Christmas dinner yesterday, the post-dinner conversations migrated to topics of technology. Eventually, the topic moved to e-mails, and how e-mailing has changed over the recent years. I took the opportunity to raise this subject to those participating in the discussion. One of the people has a small business, providing unique products to an audience world-wide. He does all his work via e-mail, check by pre-payment, or Western Union. His experience has been favorable, but he only works on pre-payment. After hearing my story, everybody agreed "I would never see your invoice." One person offered, "I have 200 unread mails in my IN box right now." Also, nobody said they get any bills via e-mail. The group was varied, from 20s to 60s. A couple of tech-savy people also commented that spam filters probably would snag out my invoices. They agreed that spam filters keep changing, and unless somebody manages the pass-through list well, this kind of material will not be seen.

I"m thinking I will merely change up for some people next season, returning to paper. Others, who have demonstrated promptness will continue with e-invoice. Recent history provides good guidance in this regard. This solution seems pretty simple, at no expense.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I do emails. I send bills out currently through the mail. A tone of time, especially in the in the summer. I use QB's and all our statements have address and email address and how to submit payment through intiut. I have about 15% that send payment this way. I get a friendly email saying xyz just submitted payment. I also use this method when working with suppliers. Thing is though that I have called or been called about a where is the bill/check/did you get my invoice. SPAM mail. My filters are set high cuz I do get alot of spam. Everyday I check it and if I need I will add you to our contact list or you need to do the same and were good to go.

Office work on the other hand is kinda a mess. I have filing cabinets, computers, landscape design software, two desk, way to much ,iterture on blocks, plant/tree/shrub catalogs, and everything is done at home in office. I keep stuff on smart phone but I would like to switch our Qb's over to our labtop or our design software...if were out, on the road, weekend out of town I can use that machine to be more productive. But we operate three different businesses and not all of them fall under our corp account so things take time to be organized.
Find a few procedures, try them, see how things work, make changes along the way and fine tune those that work for you.