Register free!

Old 11-16-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What to stock

Kind of a weird question but oh we'll, I'm pretty new to irrigation and have done repair work here and their and a few installs. I have a enclosed trailer that I used to use for mowing but no longer do, and I want to set it up like proturf has his setup. My question is what supplies (pipe, fittings, wire, sprinkler heads, nozzles, valves, valve boxes. What stuff should I stock and how much of it. I try and stay with hunter products when possible uslay pro-sprays and i20s, I just want to know what I should buy,
so I can buy by the box or case so the price is cheaper and I don't have to drive 30 mins to the place that sells hunter stuff. Any input is great , thanks. Also the trailers 18 ft so I should have room to most everything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2013, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You could almost fill a semi-tractor trailer with parts, and not cover everything. You have to ask yourself how much you're willing to bastardize a system that doesn't really deserve such treatment, in terms of what you are willing to be able to have exact replacements for. Depending on how many people need to access the parts, it is possible to greatly compact a service inventory into divider cases.

For spray heads, you should look beyond Hunter, since they don't cover all possibilities. A good service inventory has exact replacements for both Rainbird and Toro nozzles and bodies.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my trucks carry heads, fittings, pipe, nozzles :
Heads-- only hunter- pgp, pro4-12, and a few 12" pgp
fittings-- 3/4"-2" in poly and pvc
nozzles- i use all A type nozzles, in radii 4-17 and the strips
standard tools and shovels, plus some odd ball stuff that may be site specific
Locator and electrical diagnostics and repair kit
hunter remote.
That's usually what i stock in the trucks to get them rolling. the rest you pick up along the way (usually when you realize you dont have it)
With the exception of some of the larger valves, we replace everything that needs repair with hunter. that allows us to keep a limited variation of heads and valves and such. some may argue that replacing is not servicing, but this is the way we roll.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I'm gonna use the trailer for more of a install trailer more then anything. Then when it's not out on jobs and its at my shop and I need stuff grab it from the trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Toro has some strip nozzles no one else has ever matched, and I've installed using them, so I keep an inventory of their sprays and nozzles, and find them useful for the numerous all-Toro systems still out there.

The one emphatic exception to my fix-the-Toro policy is the Flo-Pro valves.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I like to keep 1" slip fixes in stock as well as 1" elbows , 90s and 45 ells (all Pvc)

in the sched 80 stuff I got to have at least one box of 1" poly couplers at all times and a bag of oetiker clamps.

after installs I'm always banking "scrap" pieces of 1" poly pipe because they come in handy for breaks.

it seems to me head wise that hunter PGPs have always been the most popular and having a box of those to just screw in/out as well as nozzles is usually a quick fix.

I install jar top valves because they are easy and quick to repair, but I used to work on and repair a lot of rain bird 100s, which are a pain... so I used to keep a lot of those screws around when I replaced a top half (because I seems to drop them often and couldnt find them!)

The irritrol 205s and the richdels (if you run across them anymore) seem to always need a solenoid.

Since the modular clocks have become more popular over the years, keep a few modules from rain bird, hunter (both Pro C and I core, they are different) modules seem like a good idea... I wander across a toro modular once in a blue moo, and always have to order a module when that happens.

gobs of xeri-drip stuff... 1" close nipples.... ugh, I'm trying to think, I have a myriad of leftover stuff from installs too that seem to occasionally come in handy, like a valve box top, oh and funny pipe barb ell 90s and funny pipe couplers! (they always seem to get broken from mowing or aeration)

I do have a bunch of pro sprays but it's more left over inventory from installs than "need to have" repair parts... back in the rain bird days of colorado-idaho... i used to use ALOT of 1804 replacements... there really isnt any rainbird IN Alaska... it's toro and hunter up here.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

18 feet?

Chr!st I could stock a few installs in there, with the 4x10.
can you put the pipe on a roof rack? I suggest your build good shelves, possible a vice..use your ceiling space as much as possible.. Heads, pipe, fittings 3/4-2'' pvc and poly to get yourself out of a jam if needed...you should have a wire tracker in there to find your gas and cable. snake, few different types of shovels, tarps for dirt, hell if you can get fancy get a small breaker panel for the fridge, lights and charge the drill batteries...

good luck.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Without A Drought View Post
Heads-- only hunter- pgp, pro4-12, and a few 12" pgp....
I thought it was incredibly dumb for Hunter to discontinue the original PGP hi-pop head, as that maroons everyone who installed them with the smallest nozzles shooting their full distance. Until they replace those nozzle patterns in the current 12-inch rotors, it marks them as having rotten long-term customer support.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT Stream Rotar View Post
18 feet?

Chr!st I could stock a few installs in there, with the 4x10.
can you put the pipe on a roof rack? I suggest your build good shelves, possible a vice..use your ceiling space as much as possible.. Heads, pipe, fittings 3/4-2'' pvc and poly to get yourself out of a jam if needed...you should have a wire tracker in there to find your gas and cable. snake, few different types of shovels, tarps for dirt, hell if you can get fancy get a small breaker panel for the fridge, lights and charge the drill batteries...

good luck.

I was going to order a new 18' or 20' x 8.5 10,000 lb rated enclosed trailer and set it up for installs over the winter. I was going to build a bench across the front, line the left side with premade steel shelves that will have uline cardboard bins, shovels, rakes, and such down the right side, and maxi sneaker in the center. The utility body truck just turns into a disaster after installs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I find it hard to believe some of you still use PGP's.