Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

new landscape buisness ?'s

next year I will be starting my business back up but by myself.
I want to to be 100% legal no under the table stuff.
I will be based out of Mayfield hts. Ohio and the citys around me have property's ranging from 1/4 acre to full acre lawns.
I would like to be putting 1000$ biweekly into my pocket and keep the rest in the business.
I sofar have one truck which is a 2003 s10 4x4 that will be pulling a 5x8 trailer and possibly in may getting a 2nd truck 2005 ram 1500 4x4 that would be pulling a 6x12.
how much should I be looking at for insurance in this area for just lawn care and basic landscape installs (lawn install,patios,tree planting,bed installs ect.) I am hopeing to get 30-50 lawns starting this year.
is 1000$ bi weekly for myself to keep expecting too much?
also if I get the 2nd truck/trailer I will be hiring on 2 other guys at 8$ an hour under the table
Old 11-17-2013, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer13x View Post

also if I get the 2nd truck/trailer I will be hiring on 2 other guys at 8$ an hour under the table
No "under the table" stuff huh
Old 11-17-2013, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

oh yeah, but that doesn't count right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
No "under the table" stuff huh
Old 11-17-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

haha yea yea ik. I need to figure out how much itd cost to hire over the table. would they end up actually costing me 15$/hr if I hired them at 8?
Old 11-17-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm new around here but can tell you that I don't think people are going to be too fond of giving advise to someone that is openly talking about not being legit. Do what you have to do, but don't ask is for advise about doing illegal things.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I will be based out of Mayfield hts. Ohio and the citys around me have property's ranging from 1/4 acre to full acre lawns.
I would like to be putting 1000$ biweekly into my pocket and keep the rest in the business.
I sofar have one truck which is a 2003 s10 4x4 that will be pulling a 5x8 trailer and possibly in may getting a 2nd truck 2005 ram 1500 4x4 that would be pulling a 6x12.
how much should I be looking at for insurance in this area for just lawn care and basic landscape installs (lawn install,patios,tree planting,bed installs ect.) I am hopeing to get 30-50 lawns starting this year.
I don't how you could possibly do that. You do realize that you just confessed that you intend to commit a crime? And you admitted it on an internet forum that can be viewed by anyone.

As far as your questions go…

Quote:
how much should I be looking at for insurance in this area for just lawn care and basic landscape installs (lawn install,patios,tree planting,bed installs ect.)
There is no way for us to know how much your insurance will cost you. You should call insurance companies and get quotes…they will tell you exactly how much the premium will cost you for the level of insurance you are requesting.

Quote:
"Bi weekly" can mean twice every week or once every two weeks. You need to know your numbers. You haven't even shared any of your numbers with us so how can we tell you if you taking $1000 out of your business is a wise move or not? We don't know your gross sales, your expenses, your overhead, etc. All you told us is that you want to service 30 - 50 lawns and you want to take $1000 out of the business "bi weekly".
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 11-17-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

im curious how you think you are just going to spontaneously combust enough work for two trucks in the span of your opening year.... much more interested in that plan.

Maybe hiring people for 8 bucks, under the table gives you the edge to under bid legit folks, thereby stealing their business?
Is THAT the plan?
Old 11-17-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Frankly I don't care if you don't see a dime. Too many people on here stress day and night about trying to follow the laws, make payroll, and pa their fair share of taxes like everyone else. I would re-think your business.

What's the name of your company? Perhaps someone at the IRS can help you.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I never said I was going to go around stealing buisness. And if you read my second post I said that I needed to figure out how much they would cost over the table. And in my Area I can't think of one company that hasn't had a few guys working under the table for them in the summer. I also asked if 1000$ biweekly (every other week) was expecting too much. I NEVER said I was going to be making that much from the start.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I never said I was going to go around stealing buisness. And if you read my second post I said that I needed to figure out how much they would cost over the table. And in my Area I can't think of one company that hasn't had a few guys working under the table for them in the summer. I also asked if 1000$ biweekly (every other week) was expecting too much. I NEVER said I was going to be making that much from the start.
Posted via Mobile Device
From guessing (which I hate doing) you will need to bring in OVER 91k in your first year to cover operating expenses including your $26k (guess) salary. If you can make that your first year , or you could start slow, yourself with the s-10 setup is a good start. Talk to a CPA and a lawyer before you start, and trust me, before you start with employees KNOW THE LAWS. It takes ONE disgruntled employee to take everything you've worked for if you haven't done things legally. No one knows your situation but you, so take your info and talk to the experts, 'cause I just mow grass for a living