Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2013, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Brown Grass in late Fall

Hello. I am noticing that my lawn is starting to turn brown. I am in Missouri and have fescue. It was fertilized twice this Fall, the last application being a Winterizer. I use Hummerts program on my lawn and follow directions on bag. I'm sure you professionals need more than just a picture but any ideas on what you think caused this would be great. I don't have in ground irrigation but try to water as needed. Also, the area in the pictures are my frint yard that faces south, however I have 2 large oaks in front yard so it's pretty shady.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How long do the leaves sit on the grass??? It looks long to the point of laying over the top of its neighbor to an excessive degree...

Just a couple of thoughts to consider... I've been finding that sort of thing as I clean away oak leaves now... makes me wonder if I should've gotten to them earlier... but I'm not too concerned becuz things are going dormant and the green grass is not important for winter dormancy...
Old 11-17-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I am pretty good about keeping leaves off the lawn. I am still mowing every week and chopping them all up. Yesterday it was so windy that I used it to my advantage and blew them all into a section of my yard and chopped them all up there. I used my big blower to blow away all my acorns before I took the pic of the grass. Maybe that's why it looks all fluffy like it does. I keep it mowed at 3.5" all year and never let it get out of control.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
things are going dormant and the green grass is not important for winter dormancy...
So you think that it just going dormant and perhaps nothing to worry about? I didn't think it turned brown in the winter.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  34.3 KBHere is a wider view of the area.

Last edited by KC816smith; 11-17-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Other areas of my lawn are lush green and look very healthy. I use the same fertilizer rate over the entire lawn. I am beginning to wonder if it is browning due to excess fertilizer. Am I correct by assuming shadier areas do t need as much fertilizer as open sunny areas? I am putting some water down now to see if that helps any.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2013, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is most likely that variety of grasses... one variety goes dormant more quickly than another, is possible... do you have irrigation running yet??? How much fertilizer have you been putting down??? it may be a fungal thing if the N is too high(or low)...
Old 11-18-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Almost looks like a fungus
Old 11-18-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I put down a 1/2" of water yesterday but the grass still looks the same. Total for the year Im at 3 pounds of nitrogen per thousand square feet. I have taken a soil sample before and everything had came back pretty good. I guess I need to do some research on fungus. It looks stressed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2013, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC816smith View Post
I put down a 1/2" of water yesterday but the grass still looks the same. Total for the year Im at 3 pounds of nitrogen per thousand square feet. I have taken a soil sample before and everything had came back pretty good. I guess I need to do some research on fungus. It looks stressed.
Posted via Mobile Device
A common thread for fungal disease is the lack of drainage... how is your soil???