Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Herbicides in MI

I am currently taking a turf management class in Michigan. I am working on a herbicide project. I need 5 herbicides that kill all the weeds. Pre-emergent, Post-emergent (selective, non-selective). There are so many to choose from. I could use some input from multiple owners.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry not an answer, but where are you taking the class?
Old 11-17-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There are no herbicides that kill "all the weeds".
My favorite is Speedzone.

Could you clarify the question?
Old 11-18-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I am required to produce a list of (5) herbicides necessary to start a modest size residential lawn maintenance business (25 houses). I will need to explain the necessity of each chemical, what it controls, the brands and cost for each. The list will have to include, Pre-emergent and post-emergent herbicides, selective and non-selective. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Oakland Community College
Old 11-18-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

do they have online class for this? I was not aware anyone besides msu offered something like that
Old 11-18-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

No. It is not on-line. It is only offered in Auburn Hills!
Old 11-18-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

send foreplease a message directly. He is a wealth of knowledge
Old 11-18-2013, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Member

need 5 different herbicides that will be able to kill all of Michigan weeds. Everything from Crabgrass, ABG, Yellow NutSedge, Spurge, Violet, Ground Ivy, etc... I am stuck at 3. There are so many to choose from I feel overwhelmed. I don't even know if I am correct. Prodiamine 65, Roundup PRO, and Q4 Plus.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks JC. As any in depth discussion with me may show, many people on lawnsite are far more knowledgable about chemical weed control than I am. Some of the people here revel in it and while I marvel at them, I am only suited to hold the coats while they toss around information.

juliebean07, if you have something on which you can install apps, look for a relatively new one called "TurfPath." someone in another part of the forum recommended it a few weeks ago. It is good and, I believe free. If you are able to install it look under products, then herbicides. It will help you for this assignment and beyond.

You listed Prodiamine 65, Roundup Pro, and Q4 Plus, giving you crabgrass pre-emergent, a non-selective, and post-emergent broadleaf control as well as crabgrass post-emergent and nutsedge.

Suppose you had crabgrass or other grassy weeds you needed to target (say you had not used Prodiamine in Spring or that it had not lasted long enough) but did not need to target broadleaf weeds or nutsedge. Which active ingredient in Q4 Plus controls crabgrass are there any standalone products that contain it that you could use to kill crabgrass?

Same for nutsedge. Say your broadleaf weed control has things nicely under control, your crabgrass per-emergent is working, but you have a couple dozen persistent clumps of nutsedge you want to spot spray. Which chemical in Q4 Plus takes care of nutsedge? Is it available as a standalone product? Are there other herbicides labeled and advertised to selectively take out Nutsedge? Hint: for 25 lawns spot spraying only, you can probably get by with a very small amount of spray mix - perhaps one mixed gallon will get through small amounts of nutsedge on 25 lawns, so no need to tie up money on a 1-gal or 2 1/2-gal container of concentrate.

I'll post this much so you can begin thinking about it and looking, and so other can chime in. Answers to my two examples above will get you to 5 but there are many more if you would like to use others. I'll try to think of other questions that will help you easily find answers. By not completely doing the assignment for you I am not being stubborn, I am trying to get you to learn how to find the answers if the specific questions are known. This was a very good assignment if they are preparing people to treat home lawns! If, after searching, you still need help please post here and I and others will try to help you.

Last edited by foreplease; 11-18-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Fix typos

Tags
herbicide , herbicides , michigan , weeds