Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like me lol. I already have a good job, just tired of working for someone else and being in the office all day. I honestly feel like this is my calling. I love working outside and if I didn't have a family that's what I would be doing all weekend. Lol. Lets keep each other posted next year. I'm really interested to see how you do!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLugNutZ View Post
Sounds like me lol. I already have a good job, just tired of working for someone else and being in the office all day. I honestly feel like this is my calling. I love working outside and if I didn't have a family that's what I would be doing all weekend. Lol. Lets keep each other posted next year. I'm really interested to see how you do!

We all are in the same boat I have a good job as well I'm just tired of working for other people also and I'm starting to hate my job. Like you I also really enjoy working outside. I'm deff up to keep in touch to see how everything works out also if any one has tips to help that would be great also
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you care for your own property or done any projects there?? I have gotten good experience doing that at my own home. Best of all if you screw up you only have to deal with your wife lol.

My big thing now is getting efficient with the hydro walk behind... Never used anything other than I self propelled push mower in the past. My neighbors will prob think I'm crazy mowing my backyard in the winter, but I need practice!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I care for my own property and I have done some project at my sister house. But I still have a LOT to learn so I'm trying to get my hands on any and every book I can. Are you gonna offer any snow removal this winter I see your from NJ I'm from CT snows right around the corner
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No not this year, not prepared for it. Not only that, but insurance is a whole other issue. Aside from that if people sign up for it I need to be there when the snow falls, with a regular job it's hard to guarantee that ill be available.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Ya I hear. You I have a snow blower but IDE rather wait until I got a plow I was just curious because I was trying to figure out a way to do it. Lawn care I can do on my days off / after work but with snow removal if it snows durning the work week early morning they expect you to be there I don't see any way that's possible at the moment but IDE like to offer it someday I was just curious if you had any ideas
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that's the issue. Eventually ill pick up a blower and just offer "on demand" service as opposed to someone pre-paying for expected automatic service..

Eventually if I do this full time, I will offer a pre pay service of some sort which will put someone on priority so they don't even have to call.

Keep in mind insurance issues, I know someone that was just doing a parking lot with a loader and had nothing to do with the sidewalks( that was a different contractor) but when someone fell on the sidewalk he was still sued. F'ed up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow that is pretty messed up I don't see how that could be possible if it wasn't his responsibly to do the sidewalk but than again our court system is pretty messed up. I plan on getting insurance and an LLC I know there no totally fool proof but they offer some protection I need to talk to a lawyer or someone who know all the in's and out's
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

0 experience other than push mowing my parents place and helping them mulch/spring fall cleanup. Depends d's how much you want it. I wouldn't say experience is as necessary as much as a drive to learn and do a great job. I'm doing alright 2 years in (this year being a real season). Buying a 2013 f350 diesel with rack body this week. Putting the xv plow on, bring on the snow!
Posted via Mobile Device