Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2013, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Honda GXV 340 Engine Help

Hey guys.

I had an earlier thread about this same engine, and getting it running. After replacing the fuel filter, and getting a new carburetor, the engine fired up easily. Now I am in the process of cleaning the muffler. I currently have it soaking in water to remove a lot of carbon build up. There are also loose pieces in the muffler, does anyone know how to get that stuuf out? Any tips to clean the muffler even better? I really don't want to buy a new one.

Another issue I have is with my new carburetor. I have searched the internet and cant seem to find anything with instructions for adjusting the screw so that it doesn't run to rich. Does anyone know where I can find resources to help me with this?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 11-18-2013, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

On the side of the engine block is a serial number usually "GXXX-1234567" in format. Share that with me and I'll look up some details for you.

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@honda View Post
On the side of the engine block is a serial number usually "GXXX-1234567" in format. Share that with me and I'll look up some details for you.

-Robert@Honda
Thanks!

GJ02-6019291
Old 11-18-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Put on a glove. Light a propane torch. Hold the muffler with a pliers. Direct the flame from the propane torch into the muffler outlet until the smoking stops. The torch isn't hot enough to damage any muffler welds but it will burn out most of the carbon. If there are loose pieces after the smoking stops, try to shake them out.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

While you have the torch out. Heat the limiter tab on the carb adjustment and pull it off with pliers and adjust all you want. This is not suggested nor is it a good idea. They are set from the factory and the adjustment will last the life of the engine usually.

also see http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discus...35517-0-1.html
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.

Last edited by tigerepairdotcom; 11-18-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

This is what Honda calls a K2 engine, FYI...

Here's the parts list for the carburetor & gaskets for this engine...Google any part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area: Find A Honda Dealer

Always use new gaskets; it's otherwise very easy for a vacuum leak to form.

Anyway, here is Carburetor 101:

1. Pilot Screw: This adjusts the fuel/air mixture and is pre-set on a new carburetor from the factory. No need to fiddle with it on a new carburetor. It can be removed (it is tamper resistant) and must be replaced with a entire new screw if removed for cleaning. After installing a new screw, turn it 2-3/8 turns out before cementing the anti-tamper cap.

2. Throttle Stop Screw: Used to set the idle speed. On a fully warmed engine, adjust this screw to obtain an idle speed of 1,400 RPM

3. Governor: Controls maximum speed; make sure the throttle control is fully opening the throttle plate on the carburetor. Start and warm up the engine. Move the throttle to FAST, and adjust the governor arm/pinch bolt to obtain 3,300 +/- 150 RPM.

Here are a few pages from the shop manual with details.

-Robert@Honda
Old 11-19-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc7 View Post
Another issue I have is with my new carburetor. I have searched the internet and cant seem to find anything with instructions for adjusting the screw so that it doesn't run to rich. Does anyone know where I can find resources to help me with this?
New carb...running rich??? I've not run into a Honda carb yet that was running "too rich", especially a new one! Could be a choke/linkage issue.

Couple of things to take note of on this particular carb : The PILOT JET referred to in R@Hs illustration is made of plastic, and is held in place by the idle stop screw( also plastic ). The pilot jet is not screwed in, rather ya just pull straight up on it to pop it out. I use a small screwdriver to pry up.
Also, the view of the pilot jet ( in the box) shows a cutaway of the lower portion of the jet. You will note a VERY SMALL hole running up thru the center. To clean that hole, I use a single strand of wire from a hand held wire brush. Tag wire is too big in dia. and will ruin the jet.

......AMF!

Tags
carburetor , idle screw