Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2013, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All depends on what works for you in your area. If the stander is a better fit then go with it. If when you do get a ztr it will make a great backup. Never know when one is gonna go down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

In my opinion this kinda depends on the size of your lawns , who do you currently have as a customer? Your target lawns are they very steep? If your lawns are decent size and somewhat flat I would just skip the middle size and get a good ztr , and a cheaper push mower , but if you have steep hills you will need the walk behind not the ztr , just depends on your first clients that you plan on picking up , I know people who have just a walk behind or just a zero turn , or just run push mowers and they choose the accounts they take around there equipment , it all depend on your market if push mow lawns are what is the easiest to get then get a commercial 30 push and go make some money , just depends on what accounts are available for you to get and what you want to do, everything has its ups and downs , but if I had to start over I would keep things as simple as possible , choose a route to go then advertise and build around that. just my opinion.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNTON SERVICES LLC View Post
In my opinion this kinda depends on the size of your lawns , who do you currently have as a customer? Your target lawns are they very steep? If your lawns are decent size and somewhat flat I would just skip the middle size and get a good ztr , and a cheaper push mower , but if you have steep hills you will need the walk behind not the ztr , just depends on your first clients that you plan on picking up , I know people who have just a walk behind or just a zero turn , or just run push mowers and they choose the accounts they take around there equipment , it all depend on your market if push mow lawns are what is the easiest to get then get a commercial 30 push and go make some money , just depends on what accounts are available for you to get and what you want to do, everything has its ups and downs , but if I had to start over I would keep things as simple as possible , choose a route to go then advertise and build around that. just my opinion.
Here in FL everything is pretty flat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessefloyd1 View Post
I main reason I was considering the the 36" stander was because their so short and maneuverable especially since on the Wrights your over the tires vs a WB where your way out in back. Am I looking at that wrong? Is it not that much of a difference?
I had a 36" exmark awhile back and I would have to take the velky off a lot to maneuver.
Posted via Mobile Device
It all depends on what works for you. Using a walk-behind for some can be a pita and for others they work great. I have to many tight areas to mow to mess around with a walk behind, I sold a 36" wb for just that reason and replaced it with the 30" Toro Turf-Master because it weighs less than the walk behind, it's easier to use and the difference in productivity between it and the 36" wb is near nothing.
I use the 36" Grandstand on about all my lawns and it's great but I do Residential work in sub-divisions on lots from a quarter to one acre in size and like Thornton Services said that's my target area. The point I was trying to make was you can have all three mower in one with a GS or a Vantage stander and only have to spend the money once and in the long run you get off cheaper.
Blowers:Stihl BR 600 BR 550 BR 380 BR 200Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 Stihl FS 90
Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole Saw: Stihl HT 75 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45
Old 11-22-2013, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric1 View Post
It all depends on what works for you. Using a walk-behind for some can be a pita and for others they work great. I have to many tight areas to mow to mess around with a walk behind, I sold a 36" wb for just that reason and replaced it with the 30" Toro Turf-Master because it weighs less than the walk behind, it's easier to use and the difference in productivity between it and the 36" wb is near nothing.
I use the 36" Grandstand on about all my lawns and it's great but I do Residential work in sub-divisions on lots from a quarter to one acre in size and like Thornton Services said that's my target area. The point I was trying to make was you can have all three mower in one with a GS or a Vantage stander and only have to spend the money once and in the long run you get off cheaper.
Everything is pretty flat her in FL.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Here in FL everything is pretty flat.
Posted via Mobile Device
If everything is flat I would not worry about the walk behind if you can afford the zero turn , just my view , I use my zero turn about 80 % of the time , the walk behind 15% and my push mower 5% , I would not have the walk behind but here we have some steep hills that are to dangerous for a zero turn
Old 11-22-2013, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric1 View Post
This maybe a Chevy/Ford type question...Do you have an experience with any of the Wright standers?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO buying/using a Toro/exmark 30 is wasting money compared to having a 36" walkbehind. The 30's are disposable mowers and will be worth next to nothing when/if you're done with it. Not to mention the problems that have yet to be worked out with them. I've yet to find anywhere except gates where I can't run a 36" wb compared to a 21 or 30. A hydro wb is all but effortless to operate on the same/more areas where you would use a 21 or 30.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
This maybe a Chevy/Ford type question...Do you have an experience with any of the Wright standers?
Posted via Mobile Device

No not really, there isn't a dealer around me the nearest is twenty miles. I did some research before a purchased the GS, I looked at the Toro, the Gravely, and the Scag and the thing that influenced my choice or decision on the GS was there Five year 1200 hour warranty vs the 2/3 year from everyone else.
Blowers:Stihl BR 600 BR 550 BR 380 BR 200Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 Stihl FS 90
Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole Saw: Stihl HT 75 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45
Old 11-23-2013, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not get a 52 and 21? Or 52 and 36 if the back yards are that big...

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...