Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Finance 6x12 Enclosed Trailer

Hey guys, first post on here!

I was just wondering what some of y'all thought on maybe financing a new trailer. I don't have credit, so I'm not sure if I would get approved, but anyway i was thinking a 6x12 enclosed with ramp and side door, I found one from BigTex Trailers for about $2500 new.

My reason is that winter is approaching and I don't have a garage or shed to store equipment.

I currently have a 4x10 utility trailer, that I could sell and rake up about $600-$800 from and put that towards the new one.

I don't really want to pay cash because I'm trying to save for a new mower and figure the trailer would be cheaper and easier to finance, plus I need it pretty soon(Don't need a mower till next season).

If anyone has done this could you let me know what the process was like or if there might be a better way going about this. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you have a trailer now? You live in Texas...it's not like you have to worry about snow. Also, what about renting a storage unit?

- Shindaiwa T242
- STIHL MS290 FarmBoss
- Echo PB500T

Starting 2014 - Solo Operation!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, I do have a trailer now, and I rather not rent a storage unit because I want the stuff at my house, since I'll be still using it occasionally and don't want to have to drive somewhere to load it up. And we get snow sometimes down here but it's not that bad but I don't want leave my equipment out in the weather for the most part. Thanks for the reply too!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy the trailer, finance the mower…if you have to finance something…most new mowers you can get with 0% financing (just pay it off before the end of the finance period).

Don't get a 6' wide trailer…the rear door will probably be too narrow for a mower with a 60" deck. Get at least 7' wide. I'm already regretting getting the 7' wide instead of the 8' wide.

I got my 7' X 16' v-nose at WSS Trailers, Inc. 2630 SW Hulen Street Burleson, TX 76028 (817) 295-5588 www.wsstrailers.com

By the way, what area of Fort Worth do you service?
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Trailer thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 11-19-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks A. W., I'll look into that, I'm actually in hurst but just put Fort Worth, and I service Hurst, Nrh, Watauga, Colleyville, Bedford, and Grapevine. I'm still pretty small right now and so far I'm all residential so backyards would be hard with a 60 inch. Do you think I still should get something that large for fronts and if I get some commercial properties, and get a smaller walk behind for backyards?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrant711 View Post
Thanks A. W., I'll look into that, I'm actually in hurst but just put Fort Worth, and I service Hurst, Nrh, Watauga, Colleyville, Bedford, and Grapevine. I'm still pretty small right now and so far I'm all residential so backyards would be hard with a 60 inch. Do you think I still should get something that large for fronts and if I get some commercial properties, and get a smaller walk behind for backyards?
Posted via Mobile Device
You need to decide what size mowers are best for the types of properties you service/will be servicing. If you only plan on targeting small residential properties with narrow gates, you may never have a need for anything bigger than a 36" or a 42" or a 48". If you want to target larger residential and commercial properties, you'll probably want a minimum of a 54" but preferably a 60" or 72".

With that said, if you get a trailer that can't fit the larger mower decks you will be forced to upgrade your trailer so that you can upgrade your mower…In other words, you are just placing one more barrier between you and being capable of efficiently servicing new clients with larger properties. This "barrier" might hold you back by keeping you from going after those larger accounts because you you will start to rationalize your decisions based solely on the equipment you already own…"Why should I waste $14,000 on a new mower and trailer to service this one large account of mine when I can just drop this large account that takes way too long to service and just get a few more smaller residential properties that my existing equipment can efficiently service?"

If it was my decision to make, I'd factor in some flexibility to expand and grow. I'd get the wider trailer. As far as the size of the mower deck, I'd probably get a 36" walk behind with a Velke if I was servicing small residential properties with narrow gates…I'd also get a 21" or 30" self propelled "push mower" to get in those areas where the 36" can't/won't go (like in some of the the drainage ditches we have around here). I'd then decide what types of larger properties I'd be targeting and when I start securing those types of accounts I'd get a zero turn with an appropriate sized deck to handle these properties.

By the way, I mostly service North/Northwest Fort Worth and out towards Weatherford so we are most likely not direct competitors.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 11-20-2013, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Cool, I think I have it just about figured out. I'll go ahead and get a 7x12 or 7x16 enclosed trailer, and when the season starts up again I'll get a new or used 30-36 and probably a 48 later in the season, after I see what I'm dealing with. Thanks for the help!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure to get a tandem axle and get the largest trailer you can afford…the 16' is only a few hundred dollars more than the 12' and the v-nose will be better on gas mileage which will save you money over time plus you get a little more square footage inside the trailer which always helps.

Check craigslist for the walk behind…there are several to choose from.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 11-20-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Ya I've been checking craigslist quite a bit and that's where I bought my Bp blower and some other stuff for a great Deal! Right now my trailer is a total length of 14ft and pretty easy to pull and maneuver and the 16ft vnose is 20ft long, so there would be about a 6 foot difference in length, and visibility is limited. I was wondering how much harder is it driving around with something like that.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

7' wide is easy...The 8' wide makes it very difficult to see.

If I can maneuver a 16' v-nose fairly easily, a person who is experienced with maneuvering a 14" trailer will most likely not have a difficult time with the 16' v-nose.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower