Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2013, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone work in the dark??

As a part time start up next year I don't think I'll have a problem mowing, as it stays light pretty late during the peak season and ill be able so squeeze a few in after I get out of my full time job. I'm concerned about leaf clean up season, as I really don't want it to be limited to just weekends. I do have a family.... Is it feasible to work in the dark just blowing leaves? I won't try to mow (to mulch them) in the dark, but just blowing to the curb seems doable with a good LED light. Has anyone done it before? Is it realistic??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2013, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't try it. I have about broke my ankle too many times in the daytime due holes in the ground. Also somebody might run you over if you have to get in the road for a little bit to pile the leaves up closer to the curb. To much risk in it my personal comfort.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if the customer doesn't mind. mabee try a helmet light? lol. reminds me of the old days back at trugreen when i would spray extra lawns in the dark so i could get my goal... I'd knock on the door and get the customer to turn the house lights on, i'd shine the lights of the truck onto the lawn. Nobody seemed to mind, cept mabee a few sent me on my way. sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, i just prefer to make sure its ok with the customer.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh yeah no doubt, I would certainly speak with the client 1st to make sure it's ok.

As far as safety, yes I will take that into consideration. Bright light and reflective gear. Ill mostly be in neighborhoods on low traffic side roads. But very good point!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2013, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I actually had a leaf clean up like this last week. With it getting dark by 4:30 and I am not out of work till 5 makes it impossible to get there during the daylight. It was not as bad as I thought, with the house lights and LED light on my dome it was not bad. It was actually bright enough that I was wondering if I could mow like this. There are several lawns I have been doing for 10 years. As long as you are careful and take the correct precautions I don't see it being an issue. Customers may also give you a little extra credit doing it in the dark due seeing your commitment and willingness to get the job done no matter what it takes.

Chevy K10
6'x10' Hallmark Enclosed
Gravely PM 152Z
Toro Timemaster
Stihl Handhelds along with an Echo and Husqvarna
Craftsman Vac

Servicing Milwaukee, Waukesha, and Washington Counties
Old 11-19-2013, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice. What light are you using? I know fenix makes an affordable LED light that can be strapped around your head. I have a handheld one from them rated at 300 lumens and the thing is def a torch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I believe mine came from Cabelas, I use it mainly for ice fishing and deer hunting but this year it got re purposed. I will look tonight and update tomorrow due to the router at the house being TKO'D.

Chevy K10
6'x10' Hallmark Enclosed
Gravely PM 152Z
Toro Timemaster
Stihl Handhelds along with an Echo and Husqvarna
Craftsman Vac

Servicing Milwaukee, Waukesha, and Washington Counties
Old 11-19-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cool thanks. I know surefire make really nice ones (ESP for firearms) but they are ridiculously expensive..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I mow, blow, trim, ect... in the dark, it's hard not to when you're working around a second job.

I use a 1000 lumen rechargeable headlamp from superbrightleds.com . it's not terribly expensive, and it has a great beam pattern for these tasks. you have 3 light output levels, you can use low for trimming, medium for push mowing and blowing, and high for looking at the whole lawn or mowing with a zero turn. I also believe in headlights on a zero turn.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I used to mow industrial and commercial properties at night, to beat the summer heat. I had two, rubber mounted farm implement lights on each ZTR. That gave us plenty of light for mowing. I had bulky miners, battery powered lights on hardhats for edging, trimming, and blowing. The newer style of powerful, lightweight "headlamps" were not readily available back in the 90's and early 2000's.
Never tried leaf cleanups at night. That would require a lot of light and might be a challange. However, "where there is a will, there is a way".