Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

web form to e-mail help.

Was wondering what some of you use to process estimate request forms on your website? I started out using the default script on the web host i use (godaddy), but it was slow and not to reliable. Most of this year i've used emailmeform.com for about 20 bucks a month, and what that included was paypal integration, which was kinda cool but not neccesary for me. they have a plan that is 10 bucks a month. It seems worth it to me because it limits the amounts of submissions from certain IP's, and theres tracking and other cool stuff. I've had a few billing issues with them so i'm ready to do something different for next year, possibly without a monthly fee.

I get a majority of my estimate requests from my website, so i'm just looking for something reliable like a good script or something, but something that may be easy to use for somebody who doesn't program.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you have any HTML experience? I use a pretty simple form but it requires you to put a small piece of code on the web page.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah i can make forms in html. What i can't do is make "required fields". and with the pay service i like the fact that i can limit the amount of submissions from an IP. (i already had somebody spam submissions early in the year) Pretty much looking for a script that may be able to do all of that, even if i have to pay for it (one time, not monthly).

i found this http://www.tectite.com/ which is looking promising for a dummy like me to set up, so i'm gonna see what i can do with it. I understand basic html better than i do the scripts.. I'm open for suggestions on scripts to use though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowDayton View Post
Do you have any HTML experience? I use a pretty simple form but it requires you to put a small piece of code on the web page.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I've used the form generator for my site with 3 different forms. It uses PHP. It's simple to create on their website and simple to install on your server and in the HTML. You are able to make fields required. It also uses a form of CAPTCHA to help reduce the amount of spam. Out of the 300+ submissions I had on my site this year, only 5 were spam. Best of all, it's free to use.

PM me if you need any help.

http://www.formmail-maker.com/generator.php
Old 11-19-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey

Wufoo is awesome. There's a free plan, but to remove their branding and to get a few more features, there's a monthly fee.

I've used it before and recommend it.

It's drag and drop. No technical knowledge required.

You just need to know how to paste the code they give you into your website.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the links, i'll keep those in mind. i've looked into wufoo earlier today. similar to what i was using. I managed to get the tectite.com scripts up and running for my forms now, and it looks like it is gonna do everything i need for free. I had just stumbled across that today, it seems like another good one. i learned a little bit more stuff which is cool too. It was a little harder to do for me than the copy and paste stuff. If i can only limit the amount of submissions from a particular IP then i'll be good to go.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

In my experience, most of the time the problems with email web forms is because when you're on shared hosting, the host will sometimes have to shut off the basic php mail() function because of spam/abuse. So a form that worked yesterday might not today, through no fault of your own.

The best solution I've found is to have a form that uses SMTP authentication. In a nutshell, it means that the form handler takes an e-mail address, password and mail server info, which allows it authenticate that the form is allowed to send to that email address. I usually set up a new email account (joeslawnforms@gmail.com) for instance, and then use that to receive the forms.

If you use wordpress there are some great SMTP authentication plugins. If you're using html, it's a bit trickier.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

how can i pull that off in HTML? I got the tectite.com php formmail script working great with all my sites for now, i figure if i have any problems later i'll just use them to host, i think its around $99 a year, seems like they have been around a while and the script seems pretty good, it does everything i need it to. I don't have much faith in godaddy anymore, so i wonder if there is another hosting company that might be better suited for formmail with no issues? I can't even get wordpress to work that well with godaddy, they even told me on the phone that its not ideal to use with their hosting.

Setting up the form mail script with godaddy made me finally see how painfully slow godaddy webmail can be. I was getting test submissions i sent myself after about 3 or 4 hours today. So i ended up having them go to my gmail account as well incase somebody sent something during times when godaddy webmail was running slow. so far so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shooner View Post
In my experience, most of the time the problems with email web forms is because when you're on shared hosting, the host will sometimes have to shut off the basic php mail() function because of spam/abuse. So a form that worked yesterday might not today, through no fault of your own.

The best solution I've found is to have a form that uses SMTP authentication. In a nutshell, it means that the form handler takes an e-mail address, password and mail server info, which allows it authenticate that the form is allowed to send to that email address. I usually set up a new email account (joeslawnforms@gmail.com) for instance, and then use that to receive the forms.

If you use wordpress there are some great SMTP authentication plugins. If you're using html, it's a bit trickier.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is the issue with the form that you are currently using that it has you put your e-mail addresses on the page (do View->Source and look for it), allowing scrapers to find it. May not be such a big deal to you, but wanted to make sure you are aware of it.

-Greg
Old 11-21-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, i found a fix for that. I'm gonna setup an .INI file with the script i'm using so in the html code i won't have to put my e-mail address, i'd just put a value that would refer back to the address in the ini file.. so assuming if i get that file in the right directory it should be safe from spammers. It makes sense from what i've been reading, i'm hoping that works.. gonna try it later anyway. the tectite scripts have been great, lots of documentation for people like me who hardly have a clue about these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8872 View Post
There is the issue with the form that you are currently using that it has you put your e-mail addresses on the page (do View->Source and look for it), allowing scrapers to find it. May not be such a big deal to you, but wanted to make sure you are aware of it.

-Greg