Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-19-2013, 06:22 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 11,651
Disappointed with shinduawa hedge trimmer

We have 2 different models of these hedge trimmers and both have had the gear box crack. Everybody that have used them really likes the units. Now I am out of warranty so $50 to much to risk.

Name:  20131115_121537.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  20131115_121547.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  70.0 KB

I will figure out a way to use the power head for trimmer. Any body else have problems with them.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-19-2013, 06:39 PM
BigFish's Avatar
BigFish BigFish is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chesapeake, va
Posts: 1,640
Had a couple redmax units do same thing. I made a support bracket that came off the gearcase cover screw and went up to the forward -most bar support bolt. Used a longer bolt and red locktite. The idea was/is to kinda support the bar from lateral movement. I reckon it worked, never had any problems with the beefed up unit that I know of.
__________________
" But let me tell you something ,folks: You can't fix stupid! There's not a pill you can take, there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever!"

......AMF!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 PM
brosko brosko is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 39
I have noticed that about redmax and shindaiwa. The cases look real flimsy. I have echos and they take some real abuse. 8 years of hellish abuse on my echo hca260 and case has never cracked. Take a look at an echo in person and you will see what i mean.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-19-2013, 09:01 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 11,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosko View Post
I have noticed that about redmax and shindaiwa. The cases look real flimsy. I have echos and they take some real abuse. 8 years of hellish abuse on my echo hca260 and case has never cracked. Take a look at an echo in person and you will see what i mean.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes you are right about the new echo units they are beefy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-19-2013, 10:10 PM
themadcutter themadcutter is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
We have 2 different models of these hedge trimmers and both have had the gear box crack. Everybody that have used them really likes the units. Now I am out of warranty so $50 to much to risk.

Attachment 281608

Attachment 281609

I will figure out a way to use the power head for trimmer. Any body else have problems with them.
thats one hell of a crack. looks like it blew up. It does look like an older unit though. am I correct?

You can replace the gear box on those for $50? I would have thought that part was much more.

If its a common problem I would just save the motor for use on an edger or something and get a different hedge trimmer.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-20-2013, 01:55 AM
newz7151 newz7151 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 2,471
were you trailering them in the folded out (cutting position) or did you or your guys always make sure to articulate them back and strap them to the shaft when they were on the trailer?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-20-2013, 07:14 AM
themadcutter themadcutter is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
were you trailering them in the folded out (cutting position) or did you or your guys always make sure to articulate them back and strap them to the shaft when they were on the trailer?
thats an interesting point. Even though there are non articulating trimmers I would think, now that you mention it, that folding them back would create much less stress on them while bouncing on the trimmer rack.

But what about the non articulating ones?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-20-2013, 05:55 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 11,651
Name:  20131120_164404.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  67.8 KB

I began to take it apart and noticed a bolt was out. I will probably fix it but it is a tough repair. I will figure out some way to but a strap around gearbox.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:16 PM
themadcutter themadcutter is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Attachment 281679

I began to take it apart and noticed a bolt was out. I will probably fix it but it is a tough repair. I will figure out some way to but a strap around gearbox.
maybe you could just hold it together with a small cheap harbor freight c clamp
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-20-2013, 08:59 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 11,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcutter View Post
maybe you could just hold it together with a small cheap harbor freight c clamp
It became apparent that i won't be repairing it when i ran into the first antitamper screw and couldn't get it out. I think these damn things cost over $500, ,no more.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 AM.

Page generated in 0.08092 seconds with 8 queries