Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2013, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Thanks that is one option

I have those but the screw was toooo tight stripped it.

I don't make all this stuff up just didn't get right name..

Attachment 281697

Attachment 281698

Now that I stripped it i almost ready to throw in the towel.
cut a little slot in it and use a flat head screw driver
Old 11-21-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hit a pharmacy and get a bottle of wintergreen oil. It will soak into and help break the galvanic corrosion holding the bolts in. Use an EZ out or other brand extractor. Hit the edge of the screw with a chisel. Slot it as madcutter says. Lots of choices.....You are nowhere near defeated yet.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcutter View Post
and heat it up a little also
Old 11-21-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcutter View Post
Cut the slot with Dremel and took chisel and hammer and it came out. If i didn't get it this way then I use Fish recommendation. I got the snap rings out but the gears won't come out. I didn't get a brass pin to hit on the gear to force it out. I probably will use Dremel to cut away housing so i can get straight shot at bevel gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44DCNF View Post
Hit a pharmacy and get a bottle of wintergreen oil. It will soak into and help break the galvanic corrosion holding the bolts in. Use an EZ out or other brand extractor. Hit the edge of the screw with a chisel. Slot it as madcutter says. Lots of choices.....You are nowhere near defeated yet.
Some good suggestions.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was told by a redmax dealer that sold me a shindy articulating head to go on my redmax units, that they often break like that from operators using the ground to adjust the angle of the blade, while not clamping down the lock lever so tightly that it can't be adjusted that way. As I recall, as result of the frequency of cracked cases, they changed a thing or two so if this is done it will leave a witness mark. Yours looks like a much older unit though. If you have other employees that run them, it might be worth advising to take the time to properly tighten and loosen the locking lever, and not use force against the blade (as described above) to make the adjustment. This may not apply at all to your case, or you may be aware of it already, but I thought it was worth mention.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Yes you are right about the new echo units they are beefy.
Never had a problem with cases nut have had gears strip after 5 years of cutting 3/4-1" woody growth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I've seen quite a few of those break in that fashion, and it can usually be traced to being transported in the open position in a fashion the keeps pressure on the blades during transport. Newer gear boxes (on the AHS254, AHS242 etc) have additional reinforcement at that area of the gear box. That kind of damage generally won't happen under normal operating conditions, but 'normal' is a relative term.

The part number you need it 78700 for the complete assembly. Bolt this new gearhead on and go. If you decide to rebuild, the updated part number for the gear box housing and bearing assembly is P021028791. Check with your dealer/parts supplier to be sure you get a 'newer' designed gear head or check the way your guys are transporting that equipment.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procareope View Post
I've seen quite a few of those break in that fashion, and it can usually be traced to being transported in the open position in a fashion the keeps pressure on the blades during transport. Newer gear boxes (on the AHS254, AHS242 etc) have additional reinforcement at that area of the gear box. That kind of damage generally won't happen under normal operating conditions, but 'normal' is a relative term.

The part number you need it 78700 for the complete assembly. Bolt this new gearhead on and go. If you decide to rebuild, the updated part number for the gear box housing and bearing assembly is P021028791. Check with your dealer/parts supplier to be sure you get a 'newer' designed gear head or check the way your guys are transporting that equipment.
Is it difficult to change the gear box if the gears are good?

I messed with one and I ended up with a bunch of little needle bears all over the place. I had to stick them back in by hand and hold then in place with grease.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
..... I got the snap rings out but the gears won't come out. I didn't get a brass pin to hit on the gear to force it out. I probably will use Dremel to cut away housing so i can get straight shot at bevel gear.

Some good suggestions.
Look, ya remove the snap ring from the straight cut pinion gear, since ya ain't got a brass or alum drift ( I ain't never....), just lay a penny on top of the gear and smack it with a hammer, it should just pop out, if it don't, finish off with a center punch/punch in the center. Sheesh!!!!

If ya go to Shindaiwa's site, they got an excellent IPL.

......AMF!
Old 11-22-2013, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procareope View Post

Very good information thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Look, ya remove the snap ring from the straight cut pinion gear, since ya ain't got a brass or alum drift ( I ain't never....), just lay a penny on top of the gear and smack it with a hammer, it should just pop out, if it don't, finish off with a center punch/punch in the center. Sheesh!!!!

If ya go to Shindaiwa's site, they got an excellent IPL.
Is "sheesh" like duh? Like that penny idea thanks.