Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If i remember right you got your Kubota with low hour,so if you could keep both busy i would keep it and look at buying another machine for the muchler.If your Kubota is bet to hell then trade!Lots of people trade thinking there getting an upgrade.New stuff is going to Teir 4 and more headache.Where if you mini is good shape then run it on out a ways.

Lots of variable.Like your age,work load,finanacil siturations.I haven't traded in a machine for over close to 30 years now,but also not buying very much new also because of my age,I have been trying to buy smart tho on good clean,low houred machine at a good price.I'm close to retirement,or death which ever comes first.

keeping you mini if you took care of it you know what you have and if you trade then expand then you have to start all over looking for a machine that you already had and knew.

As KSSS said the new machine will have the update hydualic your proably looking for.Not sure what size trailer that you have and size truck,but might want to step up to a bigger excavator.I got a nice 160 size machine with low hours for less then the cost of a 5 ton mini,and i know it would run the brush head.Also know that it might be to big also.Good luck with your decision making!
Old 11-20-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
I am not as knowledgeable as most the guys here. But I would think, unless you wanted to set another crew up exactly like you're set up now, you'd go with a machine that was substantially larger or smaller.

Ideally I would have a 5-6ton and a 10-12ton excavator. Just because I don't have a need for two machines of almost the same size.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree. Personally I have no use for a two machines of the same size or close to the same size. The 38Z that I had on rent this summer, I could use because it offered me something my 6 ton could not. Two six ton or an 8 ton would be a waste for me, but everyone's operation is different.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
I am not as knowledgeable as most the guys here. But I would think, unless you wanted to set another crew up exactly like you're set up now, you'd go with a machine that was substantially larger or smaller.

Ideally I would have a 5-6ton and a 10-12ton excavator. Just because I don't have a need for two machines of almost the same size.
Posted via Mobile Device
Believe me a 5 and a 8 tonne machine are not almost the same size. I thought the same thing until I got an 8.5 tonne machine. Now i am pretty sure i own 2 8.5 tonne machines. Hands down one of the handiest size machines. Perfect size machine between our U55 Kubota and 135 Hitachi.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 11-20-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My Kubota is in excellent shape mechanically. Got some sheet metal dents but nothing serious. It needs nothing. Tracks great, Bushings a little lose but not bad for 2000 hours.

As far as a 160 machine? My inner child wants one just to have one but realistically i would not have much work for it right now. The 8 ton machine would be something I can use right now. I could bolt the mulching head on it but I am always having too cross pavement and concrete on my jobs. I do very little new construction so the that is just they way it is for me.

I will add that 160 class machines here hold there value. To get a 50k dollar machine I would have to get a 10k hour machine or something in the 90's. Most will not have a thumb and many of the older ones will not have an aux circuit at all.

Essentially in my cheapskate mind I can have 2 machines for the price of one and I am having a hard time with that. Also take into consideration that my machine spends 90% of it's time digging trenches and mulching so that is what the 8 ton would be doing. I dig Miles of trenches a year and I cannot imagine the 8 ton machine not speed things up over the 5/6 ton machine.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since the Tier 4 was brought up I'm going to go against the grain. Our S770, new T770 we bought this Summer to replace the T750 and the T770 I have coming to replace the Tier 3 emissions machine I run aren't bad since they just have a DPF but no Urea. Urea is a PITA and I hate the idea of having another fluid to keep track of. The T770 that we have that is tier 4 has 350 hours on it and has only had to regen for 1.5 of those total hours. Not too bad. The piezo injectors that are coming into the industry also help with fuel atomization and fuel consumption.

Sometimes in the morning the last thing I want to smell like is burned diesel. The sweet smell from DPF treated exhaust is actually nice when I have to be by it.

I'm about the last person to agree with more emissions BS because of the costs but not getting a headache is a nice change.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When they start adding an extra 10K to the price of the machine for emissions ,i can smell like diesel anytime.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
Since the Tier 4 was brought up I'm going to go against the grain. Our S770, new T770 we bought this Summer to replace the T750 and the T770 I have coming to replace the Tier 3 emissions machine I run aren't bad since they just have a DPF but no Urea. Urea is a PITA and I hate the idea of having another fluid to keep track of. The T770 that we have that is tier 4 has 350 hours on it and has only had to regen for 1.5 of those total hours. Not too bad. The piezo injectors that are coming into the industry also help with fuel atomization and fuel consumption.

Sometimes in the morning the last thing I want to smell like is burned diesel. The sweet smell from DPF treated exhaust is actually nice when I have to be by it.

I'm about the last person to agree with more emissions BS because of the costs but not getting a headache is a nice change.
I thought I was the only person who liked that smell! Our sv300 goes into regen for about 5 minutes every 12 or so hours . I completely agree with not liking the whole def . Def also freezes very easily which can be a pita in the winter months. I wouldn't nescesarlly be afraid of new technology because eventually we all will have to buy machines with it .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
I thought I was the only person who liked that smell! Our sv300 goes into regen for about 5 minutes every 12 or so hours . I completely agree with not liking the whole def . Def also freezes very easily which can be a pita in the winter months. I wouldn't nescesarlly be afraid of new technology because eventually we all will have to buy machines with it .
Posted via Mobile Device
The TB 260 has a switch too cut the regen off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Curious why you would want to shut the regen off?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exhaust gets really hot. Could start a fire of you were in brush or something. We're talking 1200 degrees plus
Posted via Mobile Device