Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To Remove or Not to Remove...

Obviously, for persons in the cooler areas, what are your preferences on whether or not you remove a backflow preventor or not?

I know if correctly winterized, they should be safe. (I will start by saying we prefer to remove and store them before I get into detail here...)

Our issue is in an area of high theft, say a 1,000 acre community park, that has multiple RPZs, that are all in HotBoxs but the only problem is the boxes were not set correctly on concrete pads and per "previous city workers" the feed and discharge lines have shifted in different ways during previous winters in the past creating issues with the reinstallation of the RPZs in the spring.

Now this is our first year being fully responsible for the RPZs on the site, but in past years, they have had 2-4 units stolen and about the same with freeze damage (we have been responsible for the irrigation, but they have been responsible for getting us the water, etc... yes strange city union stuff.). I would prefer neither to happen to us, hence my preference to remove them completely from the site.

I know there is no magical solution to this except to redo all the pads and compact everything and set the boxes the correct way (maybe next year). This site has been installed for about 14 years now so you would think that you would have everything pretty well settled by now.

My only idea (if we were to remove the RPZs) is to fab up some sacrificial pieces that would fit into place where the units normally go that would keep the lines (in theory) lined up until the spring.

Thoughts? Bright ideas?
Old 11-19-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Charge extra T&M to remove them and in the spring to set them back properly due to improper installation.

Quote them for pads and cages around the rps

It's the best you can do. Bottom line is if someone wanted to steal it.. There going to figure out how to, you shouldn't assume responsibility for possibly theft
Old 11-19-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

duuudddee…you should have absolutely zero responsibility for the RPZ's….not correctly winterizing them then yes, i can see them faulting you, but for someone stealing them is just stupid…don't put yourself in that position…

i agree with everything Mitch just said

i'm glad we put our back flow's in the ground...
Old 11-20-2013, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Leave em. I live among humans in towns where cops do a great job of keeping undesireables out of town.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I remove them from site when theft is a possibilty. Leaving them on also opens the possiblity of seeping or accidental turn on filling them with water and freeze damage. Of course explain to the customer AHEAD of time the extra work and cost.

Last edited by ArTurf; 11-20-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: accidently hit enter