Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
People keep on saying on site tanks but do they really know the head ache evolved. 1 EPA inspections 2. Having a secure bond for the tank 3. Having to keep an open line of credit with tank service 4. Added insurance to the property for the fuel tank 5. If you have a fuel spill have fun with the government 6. Cost more per gallon and around her we have fuel sites that have no store just pumps. One of the bigger site we service just took there tanks out after 15 years it was costing to much in up keep and insurance they found it cheaper to buy fuel at the station
Very very true....
Old 11-21-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooleyPyne View Post
Has anyone out there struck a deal with their local gas station that would give them a certain discount on gas because they buy so much there? We are spending about $20k a month in gas at the Sunoco up the road where we fill our tanks. We think we are keeping them in business since over the course of the year its almost $250,000. We were going to ask them if they could do a special discount for us since we spend so much money there. We are looking into a fleet credit card but another credit card bill to pay is a hassle even though it saves 1-3%. Any ideas?
Two ways to look at it. And I do both...
My lawn crews fill up at a the local gas station and he cuts me a 3% discount for paying him with a check vs. credit card...
Me and my other crews fill up wherever and use the. Credit card and bank on points or miles to use later on whatever I see fit.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooleyPyne View Post
We think we are keeping them in business since over the course of the year its almost $250,000.
You can think that, but you should research gas pricing and then you'll have an idea of what part of your $250k is "keeping them in business".

Once Corbett's transportation bill passes today, you'll probably want to start forecasting for a nice rise in pricing, as well. .28 over 5 years.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure if it has been mentioned here but a local landscaping company barters with a local fuel delivery place (oil, diesel fuel & they have onsite gasoline), they do the landscaping to a certain extent & they get a significant discount on price of fuel for all of their commercial equipment.

- Shindaiwa T242
- STIHL MS290 FarmBoss
- Echo PB500T

Starting 2014 - Solo Operation!
Old 11-22-2013, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

My gf works for a c store and handles alot of the fuel mixtures, blends, credit, codes, costs, etc. While 250k for gas is alot, to the store you are probably a fraction of a percent to them.....then when you factor in profit you arent worth spit to them. You would just be waisting the guys time just talking to him about it. Just get an Amex business card and get 3% off that way.
Now if all your guys go into the store and buy alot everyday you are worth something to him!
Posted via Mobile Device