Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2013, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Member

New - seeking help

Hello everyone!

I'm in need of some suggestions.. I found these forums while searching google for some help. I live in NY and temps are going to start getting cold. We have about an half acre, and would like o finally get true, thick green grass. Simply put, what should I be doing now to prepare the lawn for next spring? I'm just a regular homeowner looking to achieve that true green lawn.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The first thing you need to realize is that the best time to plant grass is around Sept. 1, maybe 2 week's earlier if your in upstate NY. Cool season grass (like fescue, kentucky bluegrass and rye) planted in the spring do's not have the root system to make it through the summer heat, especially if you don't have automatic irrigation.

There is a lot you can do between now and then though. You might be surprised how fast time go's by when you are getting ready to do something like this. This can turn into a big commitment, time and money-wise. If you want to do this then i will help you out, but you have to be willing to do it right.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Your next best bet for planting is April. Be sure not to apply pre-m products for crabgrass control. This will also hinder growth. The soil should be will admended so mushroom manure and starter fertilizer should be mixed with seed. Use a four way seed mix as it will give you the best change for success. Be sure to mulch clippings as it is best to thicken lawn.
Stihl FS70 Trimmer
Echo Blower
Echo Shears
Commercial Spreader
Old 11-20-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
The first thing you need to realize is that the best time to plant grass is around Sept. 1, maybe 2 week's earlier if your in upstate NY. Cool season grass (like fescue, kentucky bluegrass and rye) planted in the spring do's not have the root system to make it through the summer heat, especially if you don't have automatic irrigation.

There is a lot you can do between now and then though. You might be surprised how fast time go's by when you are getting ready to do something like this. This can turn into a big commitment, time and money-wise. If you want to do this then i will help you out, but you have to be willing to do it right.
I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get that grass going. Only thing I can't buy right now is equipment, I do have a lawn mower and leaf blower! And I know what you mean by the time passing by... it does go quick!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyuser View Post
Your next best bet for planting is April. Be sure not to apply pre-m products for crabgrass control. This will also hinder growth. The soil should be will admended so mushroom manure and starter fertilizer should be mixed with seed. Use a four way seed mix as it will give you the best change for success. Be sure to mulch clippings as it is best to thicken lawn.
A four way seed mix... where would I go about on getting this and when would I need to apply it, in April? Also, what do you mean by mulch clippings? Does this refer to when I'm mowing the lawn right now, to mulch the grass clippings? and should I be cutting short, or not?

Thank you both!
Old 11-21-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do a 'dormant seeding' now(broadcasting by hand will be adequate... if you need to plant more in Spring then do that with a 15% dose of Annual Ryegrass(AR) in the mix...
In the Spring you'll have to have a way to artificialy create soil contact, or cover with compost... and remember that it is better to do a small area super well, rather than have the whole thing mediocre...
Old 12-12-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Where is Upstate, NY?
Old 12-12-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, mulch clippings always. The clippings will provide important nutrients to the lawn, make newly seeded areas thicker. We also around that those that mulch clippings have little to no disease issues in the lawn. Aerate and oversover seed in sept. Sharpen mower blade early and often.
Posted via Mobile Device