Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-10-2015, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking for advice on Loftness timer ax vs fixed hammer mulcher

Hi Everyone,
I have been looking in to adding a mulcher to my skid steer (Cat 246d High Flow) and looking for some input. I was initially looking in to the loftiness timber ax for my machine. I like that 73inch model provides a working width larger then my machine and also weights less then many of the fixed hammer mulchers. I have heard that it's a very efficient unit for lower horsepower machines. Unfortunately it seems to have very mixed reviews. People that love it, love it!. However people that don't like it seem to really not like it. Wondering if any one is currently using one of these units that could give me a little more info.

I would be using the mulcher to destroy mostly sagebrush, coyote brush, small cedars, basically stuff less then 5 inches in diameter. I should also add i often work in rocky areas which another thing that concerns me about the timber ax and makes me lean towards something with a fixed carbide tooth.

Let me know if you guys need any addtional info.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-10-2015, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If your in rock I don't think your going to want that Timber Ax. The kind of material your talking about taking out, I do with a Diamond HF mower. It is similar to a Davco type. They are not good in rock either but between the two I would take the Diamond. I also run a Tushogg which is excellent in rock since the teeth are asphalt cutting type teeth. The quality of mulch is not good, but if that does not matter, you can stick that head almost anywhere. My Tushogg is 60" wide. I was initially concerned about that but I don't see it that way anymore. Having the max. hp per tooth is really what is important.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
If your in rock I don't think your going to want that Timber Ax. The kind of material your talking about taking out, I do with a Diamond HF mower. It is similar to a Davco type. They are not good in rock either but between the two I would take the Diamond. I also run a Tushogg which is excellent in rock since the teeth are asphalt cutting type teeth. The quality of mulch is not good, but if that does not matter, you can stick that head almost anywhere. My Tushogg is 60" wide. I was initially concerned about that but I don't see it that way anymore. Having the max. hp per tooth is really what is important.
Thanks for the quick response!. A rotary mower would be the best option for my machine, but i have some experience with those and i do not like how the material discharged out the front. I plan on doing some work with HOA's and I don't want material flying around. The are one of the best options for cheap clearing. I would also like to achieve a more finished/finely chopped product that I just can't get with a rotary.
Aslo thank you for address the working width issue that is really my biggest concern. i can see how having more hp per tooth might be more efficient in the end.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
My Tushogg is 60" wide. I was initially concerned about that but I don't see it that way anymore. Having the max. hp per tooth is really what is important.
I agree. I may sell my FAE 72" to get the 60" model. Saves on weight, too but it won't stick out past my tires on one side. I like wide but it jams easier and that few inches on the right side of the machine catches stumps and rocks and stops me.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing

Last edited by YellowDogSVC; 01-11-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
I agree. I may sell my FAE 72" to get the 60" model. Saves on weight, too but it won't stick out past my tires on one side. I like wide but it jams easier and that few inches on the right side of the machine catches stumps and rocks and stops me.
Thanks yellow dog. This is the information I've been looking for. Seems like a smaller unit may be the way to go. Yellow dog are you happy overall with your FAE? From my researched so I've been learning towards towards them for fixed tooth mulcher, plus there is a bunch of them for sale in the second hand market.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2015, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would try and find a newer model that has the multi speed pump. It will work better on a lower powered machine like your CAT. I think that the FAE is the best on the market.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I would try and find a newer model that has the multi speed pump. It will work better on a lower powered machine like your CAT. I think that the FAE is the best on the market.
thanks again KSSS for info.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
What he said about 2 speed head. And yes, I'm happy with the FAE. The ONLY reason I considered switching to Fecon was dealer support. My FAE dealer does a good job but it's not as convenient to have a different dealer on a different side of town from where most of my machines/attachments are serviced.

For the most part, both FAE's I owned only visited the shop once and most other minor repairs I made myself. They are built heavy duty, weight more than just about anything else its size, and are designed for abuse.
I regularly encounter rocks, some wire, hard as rock oak stumps, and the occasional engine part. Aside from damage to carbide (rare but it does happen) and wearing out the blades in the center (I run 10 viper style cutters along with carbides and several blunt rock teeth on the ends), if you grease as recommended, keep the unit clean, keep hoses tight, and belts tensioned correctly, you can get a couple of thousand hours before it needs work. The key is don't use it like a battering ram or bulldozer. Let the head do the work and just rock back and forth into whatever you are cutting and it's an amazing tool.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-12-2015, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
What he said about 2 speed head. And yes, I'm happy with the FAE. The ONLY reason I considered switching to Fecon was dealer support. My FAE dealer does a good job but it's not as convenient to have a different dealer on a different side of town from where most of my machines/attachments are serviced.

For the most part, both FAE's I owned only visited the shop once and most other minor repairs I made myself. They are built heavy duty, weight more than just about anything else its size, and are designed for abuse.
I regularly encounter rocks, some wire, hard as rock oak stumps, and the occasional engine part. Aside from damage to carbide (rare but it does happen) and wearing out the blades in the center (I run 10 viper style cutters along with carbides and several blunt rock teeth on the ends), if you grease as recommended, keep the unit clean, keep hoses tight, and belts tensioned correctly, you can get a couple of thousand hours before it needs work. The key is don't use it like a battering ram or bulldozer. Let the head do the work and just rock back and forth into whatever you are cutting and it's an amazing tool.
Thanks Yellow Dog for some more info. I have a question about the teeth you are using, are they made FAE?
Old 01-13-2015, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdriver View Post
Thanks Yellow Dog for some more info. I have a question about the teeth you are using, are they made FAE?
Yes. They are:
Double-sided (you can turn them to a new edge) cobra teeth. I forget how much the cobra carbide was but they were awful and lasted about 30 minutes before the carbide enhanced blade snapped off. I suspect it was a bad carbide attaching process but I've been pretty happy with the standard blades.
I also use the double carbide (looks like a knuckle) around most of the drum and a few blunt rock carbides on the ends. those are HEAVY duty but aren't designed to cut fast.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf FAE Tooth Options.pdf (265.7 KB, 26 views)

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing