Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-26-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicLawnCareInc View Post
Ok.

Now my Deere dealer has stepped up to the plate with a new fully loaded 323D track loader for the same price.

Any thoughts on that machine?
Besides the fact that the CAT D series offers a truly pressurized cab, reversing camera, speed sensitive ride control, foot throttle, self leveling both up and down, better side visibility (look at their brochure with the loader in the carry and you can see that it is hard to see down to the tracks), more engine torque at 500rpms lower and more hp at a lower rpm means better fuel, 4 more hp, way more reach at truck bed height (the 323D can't even get its mast up to the pallet when the pallet is about a foot off the edge of the truck), 10 more degrees of dump for sticky materials (the Deere only dumps to 42 degrees), an actual emergency rear exit (without having to kick out the window), the ability to actually/easily service the engine without having to raise the loader arms up (ever wonder why the JD machines always have their service panels and cab raised up at trade shows? Because it is a PITA to take the engine access panels off when the loader arms are down. It would suck to have to take them off every morning to check air filter, water separator, oil, etc.), dead engine loader arm lower with an actual accumulator, 6" narrower, 3" more height to bucket pin, almost 9gal larger fuel tank, almost 2.5mph faster 2spd.

Other than that, not much difference between the two.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Ok.

Now my Deere dealer has stepped up to the plate with a new fully loaded 323D track loader for the same price.

Any thoughts on that machine?
I like them as long as they are joysticks. I get blisters from their standard controks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here a few pics of our new 299 before they put all our "extras" on it
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you nervous about the new emmissions eqpt on these engines? Are they Kubota engines after all?
Old 11-27-2013, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow dig deep I guess there us a big difference lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
And he forgot to add that Deere's loaders suck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I forgot to add that the CAT has an electric self priming fuel filter...no more squeezing primer bulbs, pouring unfiltered fuel into new filters or needing two people (one to screw in the plug when fuel starts coming out while the other is in the cab turning the key). There are more, but I was in a hurry to go out on a date with my fiancé last night.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Damn so the JD is really that bad? It looks like the JD has a pre emission engine where the Cat has some new emission eqpt on it.

I will say that my JD dealer has the best service over anywhere else in my area. Im thinking about years down the road.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Damn so the JD is really that bad? It looks like the JD has a pre emission engine where the Cat has some new emission eqpt on it.

I will say that my JD dealer has the best service over anywhere else in my area. Im thinking about years down the road.
I didn't say that the JD was bad, just not near the machine from a performance or serviceability standpoint. It's simple stuff like no emergency exit out the back window, having to take the damn side panels off every day (and get grease on you from the loader arms in the way) just to check your water separator and air filter, etc. that make you wonder how much attention to detail a company takes when they design a machine. Find the emergency lever for lowering the boom on a JD...you need to go through about the steps just to lower it...turn key on (hope you still have battery power), do something with the parking break, flip open the door down by your feet (hope you're machines not in an bad position) and pull a cable. CAT...pull lever by your seat and you can still curl your bucket or attachment all the way back because of a standard accumulator- done.

I don't have a dog in this fight (I own an old ASV and an old S220) but I would tell you to take a good hard look at both machines from top to bottom and you'll see what I mean. I can appreciate the effort that CAT put into their new machines for safety, comfort, daily service and preventive maintenance for a customer. And...I don't think your local CAT dealer is going anywhere soon. Last time I checked CAT was pretty good at taking care of customers...at least the dealer here is.

I think you have a pretty good start and you should move on to checking them out for yourself taking into account what you've gotten from this forum (with a grain of salt). Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

IMO I wouldn't go with Deere,Thats just me.I'm a diehard Bobcat guy and love the M-series SSL/CTL's.I will say I've fallen in love with the 259D.I haven't run one yet but it looks phenominal. These new CAT's are takeing my love away from Bobcat fast.

I saw this today and I drooled all over it.