Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-23-2013, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
That's something I forgot to mention, documentation. Do you track all your working hours? Track the time at each job and who was all there along with what was done, track the amount of time spent on meeting with clients, amt of time spent working om estimates, doing accounting etc. You can't manage what you don't track. Eventually everything you do will be done by someone else who is on payroll and you must know how long these tasks take.
Posted via Mobile Device
You need to set realistic expectations…The goals you set must be achievable.

You can't set a goal of 10 lawns completed in one 8 hour day if the 10 lawns take an average of 1 hour each to complete. For each job/task you need to know approximately what can be achieved in a given amount of time. The only way to know this is to conduct time studies.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 11-23-2013, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
Good points AW, but if you want to follow those steps, I would add a step seven. Have the employees sign a non solicitation agreement for current customers and employees. If you are hands off and none of the customers know who you are, one motivated employee could hang out his own sign and steal your clients and employees and have a ready made business
Your step 7 is handled in my step 1 at the time the employee signs documentation that they have read and understood the terms and conditions of employment as outlined in the employee handbook.

Quote:
CONFIDENTIALITY OF BUSINESS AND PERSONNEL INFORMATION

During the course of your work, you will have access to information concerning business plans, operations, finance, personnel, salaries, clients and other sensitive and confidential matters. Such information is privileged and proprietary and must be held in complete confidence. Such information may only be used for Company related business and under no circumstances may such information be communicated to anyone without the express written authorization of the Chairman of the Board.

Quote:
OUTSIDE EMPLOYMENT

Outside employment is permitted only to the extent that:

(A) It does not interfere with your effective work performance,
(B) The work is not in a competitive business which would create a conflict of interest, and
(C) Prior written approval is obtained from the Chairman of the Board.

Should you have a question concerning the propriety of outside employment, feel free to discuss the matter with the Board of Directors.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 11-23-2013, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
Your step 7 is handled in my step 1 at the time the employee signs documentation that they have read and understood the terms and conditions of employment as outlined in the employee handbook.
AW, your first step said :
First step is to remove yourself from all physical labor duties (your focus is on sales, job site management, accounting, business operations, executive management).

IMO, The information you have boxed off above would not prevent a current employee from quitting and starting a competing business soliciting your clients or encouraging your other employees to work for him. Thelanguage may prevent an employee from taking an actual written client list but what you have written would not prevent an employee from using info he learned about your clients in dealing with them while in your employ.

Read the language that you have again and see if that makes sense.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You need something that specifies for a certain period of time they cannot contact your clients to solicit business to them.

I sell insurance for an agency and have one with them for 1 year post employment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2013, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
AW, your first step said :
First step is to remove yourself from all physical labor duties (your focus is on sales, job site management, accounting, business operations, executive management).

IMO, The information you have boxed off above would not prevent a current employee from quitting and starting a competing business soliciting your clients or encouraging your other employees to work for him. Thelanguage may prevent an employee from taking an actual written client list but what you have written would not prevent an employee from using info he learned about your clients in dealing with them while in your employ.

Read the language that you have again and see if that makes sense.
I live in America. If an employee wants to quit his job working for me and go into business for himself, he is free to do so and I will wish him luck in his endeavor. Likewise, my employees are free to leave their job at any time to go work for someone else if that is what they choose to do. If they choose to do so, I will wish them luck in their endeavor.

No amount of legal wording printed on paper will prevent a person from stealing your clients or your proprietary information…We have written laws which state that murder is illegal and some places will even sentence a person to death if they are found guilty of this crime and it is a proven fact that laws and punishments will not prevent a person from committing these illegal acts.

If an employee chooses to steal from my company, I will use the legal system to try to make things right.

I will not continue to employ someone who wants to compete with my business nor will I help them compete. I will not try to prevent someone who is legally, morally and ethically attempting to establish a competitive business and if they do establish a competitive business, it only encourages me to make my company better than his so he is no longer considered my competition…That is the beauty of the free market.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 11-23-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If they sign a non-competence you you can persue legal action if they solicit your clients. You may not WANT to do that, maybe it wouldn't make sense in regards to the cost of hiring an attorney, but at least it would be an option. Not only that but if someone knows they signed one they may not even try to contact your clients because of the possibility of being sued.

If you have employees sign something already, why not just add that verbiage in?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLugNutZ View Post
If they sign a non-competence you you can persue legal action if they solicit your clients. You may not WANT to do that, maybe it wouldn't make sense in regards to the cost of hiring an attorney, but at least it would be an option. Not only that but if someone knows they signed one they may not even try to contact your clients because of the possibility of being sued.

If you have employees sign something already, why not just add that verbiage in?
Posted via Mobile Device
I've already covered the misuse of privileged and proprietary information (sees bolded text below).

Quote:
CONFIDENTIALITY OF BUSINESS AND PERSONNEL INFORMATION

During the course of your work, you will have access to information concerning business plans, operations, finance, personnel, salaries, clients and other sensitive and confidential matters. Such information is privileged and proprietary and must be held in complete confidence. Such information may only be used for Company related business and under no circumstances may such information be communicated to anyone without the express written authorization of the Chairman of the Board.
Why start off a work relationship with a new employee that basically tells the employee, "I don't trust you and I want to do everything possible to prevent you from reaching your full potential here and should you stop working for me I will try to prevent you from earning a living in this industry for an entire year"…Why start off a work relationship like that?

Stealing a company's privileged and proprietary information is already against the law. Do you really need another piece of paper that says, "pretty please don't steal my clients so you can start your own business"?

As I said before, "If an employee chooses to steal from my company, I will use the legal system to try to make things right" (if I feel it is warranted).

If you want to go start your own business, go start your own business. If you want to try to earn my client's business, go right ahead…I won't make it easy for you.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 02-27-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

subscribed. Good thread, lots of good points and good advice in my opinion.
14x7 landscaping trailer
12x6 P&T hydro dump trailer w/leaf box
We run Gravely ZTRs, Honda 21"s, Kawasaki trimmers, Redmax Backpacks, LittleWonder loader
Old 02-27-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I've already covered the misuse of privileged and proprietary information (sees bolded text below).

Why start off a work relationship with a new employee that basically tells the employee, "I don't trust you and I want to do everything possible to prevent you from reaching your full potential here and should you stop working for me I will try to prevent you from earning a living in this industry for an entire year"…Why start off a work relationship like that?

Stealing a company's privileged and proprietary information is already against the law. Do you really need another piece of paper that says, "pretty please don't steal my clients so you can start your own business"?

As I said before, "If an employee chooses to steal from my company, I will use the legal system to try to make things right" (if I feel it is warranted).

If you want to go start your own business, go start your own business. If you want to try to earn my client's business, go right ahead…I won't make it easy for you.
Unfortunately, if you think law enforcement will get involved without some sort of legal document IE: non compete agreement, your woefully wrong. Been there done that. You damn right I'm going to protect what I've built up with a non compete agreement, it's smart business.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Still working on it myself.

You need to create systems. Then you use these systems to train your replacements (employees). Keep replacing yourself in various aspects of your company's operations and eventually you will have a company that is pretty much self sufficient.

I've convinced myself that this is the process to follow:

Step two is to remove yourself from daily business operations. A good operations manager should be able to handle almost every aspect of running the office/scheduling/ordering/bookkeeping/accounts payable/accounts receivable/human resources/marketing/etc. (your focus is on sales, job site management, executive management).

Step 3 is to remove yourself from job site management (your focus is on sales, executive management, and you start to reinsert yourself into some of the accounting functions because as your company grows your operations manager will start to become overwhelmed with the workload).

Step 4 is to remove yourself from sales (your focus is on executive management and you fully reinsert yourself into the accounting functions so that the operations manager can focus his/her attention on everything else).

Step 5 is to remove yourself from accounting (your focus is now solely on executive management).

Step 6 is to remove yourself from executive management by hiring a CEO (your focus is to communicate to the CEO your desired path for the company's direction and then sit back and watch it happen while you count the money).

Note: I also think it might be possible to switch steps 4 and 5.

Agreed, this post is very very good. Tricky and tough but spot on with the steps to follow. One of the big things I had to realize when I started to step out, is that the reputation changes. The people doing the work are the ones that garner the reputation. When you step out, you have to instill that sense of pride in them. That it is there reputation now and that you just gave them a good starting point. I actually gave equity to my top two managers, to do this. My guys struggled a bit, as I thought they would with the new found freedom and responsibility, and we lost a couple accounts which were very good talking points and learning lessons moving forward. A big learning curve and you take a little hit when you move from step to step. You can't keep jumping in to save the day or you will go crazy and no one learns anything. Delegate to the right people. Ah the "right people" that should be it's own step.

Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC