Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2013, 03:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Wow! I am super impressed. I have always had an interest and respect for woodworking... Love that piece and would love to see some more if you have photos handy... Not only is your trailer and equipment neat and tidy, it is also a very efficient looking set up. Not just where things are placed but also the choice of equipment. I run the very same set up! Same Scag, just swap out my Walker for your Hustler and tag Shindy in for the handhelds.... "I don't want a client or potential client to think that I was a messy, unorganized, and inefficient contractor." I love this quote! This is spot on and I just can not for the life of me understand how anyone would choose to manage their business otherwise. Seems like you are taking positive things like systems and organization that you learned from being in business for 9 years already and adapting them to your new venture in The Green Industry. Very impressive to say the least, and I must say kudos to you sir!
David Armsden
Armsden Landscaping
Thank you very much. I try to look at everything and ask myself, "how can I make this process more efficient/more profitable without sacrificing quality?" It's one of the many aspects of business management that I really enjoy. I love creating systems and uncovering ways to improve existing systems and then implementing the changes and seeing the results.

One process that I hope to improve at some point is refueling. I considered doing this when I initially set up the trailer but I couldn't justify the expense this early on and I'm still not 100% positive that this will be the best solution. Right now, I find it too time consuming and way too much physical work to unload empty gas cans, fill them up at the pump, carry the heavy cans back onto the trailer, store them on the shelf, take them off the shelf, fill the mowers and put the can back on the shelf. The idea I have is to install a storage tank inside the trailer that can be filled from the exterior and then when gas is needed I pump the gas from the tank directly into the mowers. I also thought about piping off of the main tank through a oneway valve to a secondary tank that I can add 2-cycle oil to and pump from that tank to the edgers, trimmers, etc.

Anyway, that's just one idea I have been kicking around as a possible process improvement.

Here are a few more woodworking photos for you…
Attached Images

www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 11-23-2013, 03:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmg View Post
As a former granite counter top fabricator and installer, I must say that desk is top notch. I particularly like how the edge by the plant goes from a eased edge to suddenly a ogee edge or maybe a 3/4 bevel? can't tell from the pics.
Thank you very much. I power carved the edges to bring out more details and to add visual interest…the edge is completely freeform.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 11-23-2013, 04:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=A. W. Landscapers, Inc.;4907380]Thank you very much. I power carved the edges to bring out more details and to add visual interest…the edge is completely freeform.[/QUO

I could see JR Ewing sitting behind that that desk or Bobby.... I'm an oldtimer, I see talent when I see it . Keep on with the wood working!!!
Old 11-23-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
I keep everything clean and organized because I'm a professional and presenting a clean organized professional appearance is part of my business model. I also regularly have clients visit my shop/showroom so it has to be presentable at all times…I don't want Mr. & Mrs. $$$ to get their clothes dirty when I'm asking them to sign a contract and hand me a large deposit check. The truck and trailer are also kept neat and organized and all tools are kept clean to present the same professional image when I'm in the field. I don't want a client or potential client to think that I was a messy, unorganized and inefficient contractor.
This attitude brings up the image of the whole industry, no matter the profession.

Sloppy LCOs wouldn't believe the amount of extra work (and free meals) I get off my personal and equipment appearance. I made over $1K in detailing vehicles in Sept, alone. I have a steady base of those as well as odd jobs. I keep quite few hand tools onboard for the quick stuff. I'd rather spend part of a day cleaning up a vehicle, with minimal material investment and no stress, than fighting for a bunch of low pay mowing just to have the day occupied, burning fuel and equipment hours.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 11-23-2013, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=aaronmg;4907381]
Quote:
Thank you very much. I power carved the edges to bring out more details and to add visual interest…the edge is completely freeform.[/QUO

I could see JR Ewing sitting behind that that desk or Bobby.... I'm an oldtimer, I see talent when I see it . Keep on with the wood working!!!
Thank you very much.

I'll never stop woodworking…unfortunately the custom woodworking industry has been very slow since the housing bubble burst and the cabinetry side of the business is constantly competing with mass produced junk cabinets from overseas that only looks good on the outside…this good looking junk can be purchased for less than it costs me to purchase the raw materials I need to build and finish a quality cabinet. In today's world of "got to have it now" price shoppers it gets harder and harder to get people to sign a contract, hand over a deposit and then wait a couple of weeks for me to build their cabinets which will cost 2, 3, or 4 times as much as the imported junk that they can grab off the shelf at the local home center or have shipped directly to them from the giant imported junk warehouse. I've been concentrating on reaching the higher end clientele who are interested in owning one of my one of a kind custom furniture pieces…there is good money to be made in that market but it is a lot of effort just to get my name in front of the right people and a whole lot more effort to get to contract…the good news is that when I am contracted to build a piece, the piece is built on my schedule not their schedule so there are no deadlines to meet.

Anyway, this is starting to get to be a long post about woodworking on lawnsite.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 11-23-2013, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I am a woodshop teacher so this is a coincidence haha. I did want to ask your opinion on your trimmers. I mow six yards and am picking up a 100-125 stone cemetery. Do you think the fs55 or the 90 would be the best option? I have no experience with the 4 mix engine.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Anyway, this is starting to get to be a long post about woodworking on lawnsite.
Nope. I find it intriguing. Furthermore, it's your thread to do with whatever you want.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 11-23-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
This attitude brings up the image of the whole industry, no matter the profession.

Sloppy LCOs wouldn't believe the amount of extra work (and free meals) I get off my personal and equipment appearance. I made over $1K in detailing vehicles in Sept, alone. I have a steady base of those as well as odd jobs. I keep quite few hand tools onboard for the quick stuff. I'd rather spend part of a day cleaning up a vehicle, with minimal material investment and no stress, than fighting for a bunch of low pay mowing just to have the day occupied, burning fuel and equipment hours.
I don't "buy" work…doesn't matter if it is mowing lawns, installing mulch, woodworking, pressure washing, cleaning gutters, installing cabinetry, repairing sheetrock, installing tile...if it isn't profitable work it is a waste of my time and resources. There is a lot of work out there for people like us who present a professional appearance and provide our clients with a reliable and trusted source for quality work. I like being the guy my clients can rely on for all their home improvement and repair needs. When my clients have projects, I want my name to be the first and only name on their list of people to call.

I'd be interested in hearing more about how you got into doing vehicle detailing and how you market that service.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 11-23-2013, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvs99560 View Post
I am a woodshop teacher so this is a coincidence haha. I did want to ask your opinion on your trimmers. I mow six yards and am picking up a 100-125 stone cemetery. Do you think the fs55 or the 90 would be the best option? I have no experience with the 4 mix engine.
I like the 90…right now the 55 is just there as a backup.

I pretty tall (about 6' 1") so for me the handlebar and the harness are a must…if you've never tried it, you won't believe what a difference these to accessories make…so much more comfortable and easier to handle. If you trim for more than 2 minutes at a time, it's worth it.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 11-23-2013, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvs99560 View Post
By the way, thanks for being a woodshop teacher and keeping our craft alive.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower