Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=cpllawncare;4907501]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post

This is probably your most efficient method, you can use the tax maps for your sq/ft or goilawn I've heard works well also, which most of your larger guys use. The thing to keep in mind is you want to make it as easy as possible for the customer to do business with you,
Very good point
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds good to me except pricing a yard over the phone. The best thing is to put your eyes on every single yard your pricing. But that's my opinion.

So exactly how do you price charge by the measurement. Also what type of deposit do you charge at the time of agreeing to the service?do you draw up your on agreement or you get them somewhere esle.

I'm really thinking hard about getting my own location and having a office manager as well. This season will be a bigger and better one for me. Each year I'm growing more and more!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Kleen Kutz; 11-23-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleen Kutz View Post
That sounds good to me except pricing a yard over the phone. The best thing is to put your eyes on every single yard your pricing.

So exactly how do you price charge by the measurement. Also what type of deposit do you charge at the time of agreeing to the service?do you draw up your on agreement or you get them somewhere esle.

I'm really thinking hard about getting my own location and having a office manager as well. This season will be a bigger and better one for me. Each year I'm growing more and more!!
Posted via Mobile Device

We pull there address and go by the sq ft of lot we do not ask for money or deposits up front in fact we mail bills at end of each month. If we get to job and something odd that means price is off just call and talk to customer first. We have 35.00 min on weeklys and i figure mowing 3.00 per 1,000 sq ft so half acre lawn is 65.00 acre is 120. Using this method I dont care about amount of edging, blowing, etc may sound tacky but that what my laborers are for.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Tennessee Lawn View Post
We pull there address and go by the sq ft of lot we do not ask for money or deposits up front in fact we mail bills at end of each month. If we get to job and something odd that means price is off just call and talk to customer first. We have 35.00 min on weeklys and i figure mowing 3.00 per 1,000 sq ft so half acre lawn is 65.00 acre is 120. Using this method I dont care about amount of edging, blowing, etc may sound tacky but that what my laborers are for.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would charge at least $15.00 - $20.00 extra for first cut only because of edging and more work/time. Also what about your agreements? Do you draw them up yourself or get them somewhere else?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We use google earth to measure properties almost exclusively. It's too time consuming going to a property, measuring and looking at the terrain for just mowing or fert.

The key to success for us has been knowing our service areas well. We know what areas (in general) are relatively flat and what areas have more slopes, etc.

Knowing this had made Google Earth work well for us. It probably won't work in every part of the country, but it does for us.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We tried goilawn two different times and I just threw my money away. I know others like it and I agree that it is probably great program just not for me. We use measure maps- it's free. We DO charge a deposit on mowing services. We bill them for an entire month of service and that deposit is applied to their last bill of the year, I hated not getting my money after November billing cycle. Plus it weeds out flaky people. Regarding a disclaimer and pricing over the phone, we alway state that if the grass is excessively long the initial price is double. I think pricing over the phone will work out fine- we just don't have the resources to efficiently look at every mowing estimate and still get back to the client with a price in reasonable time.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
We use google earth to measure properties almost exclusively. It's too time consuming going to a property, measuring and looking at the terrain for just mowing or fert.

The key to success for us has been knowing our service areas well. We know what areas (in general) are relatively flat and what areas have more slopes, etc.

Knowing this had made Google Earth work well for us. It probably won't work in every part of the country, but it does for us.
We use an iPad app called Planimeter. It measures areas of irregular shape property dimensions. It works very well also. Google Earth Pro is great but it's $400 per year. Planimeter was only a few bucks.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is there a android app that's compatible to Planimeter?
Old 11-25-2013, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Is there a android app that's compatible to Planimeter?
I don't know but there is another good one called Map Measure. I saw it for ipad/iPhone but don't know about Android. I'm sure there's gotta be something for Android.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

When we get a call we ask for address and immediately go to zillow.com for gross sq ft of lot. Alot of times I will just go with that (thats being realy lazy) but it has worked out well. We also use findlotsize.com. I ask them a few questions over the phone and then I give them a price while emailing the estimate.

If they accept than after asking a few more questions I tell them all i need is a CC# to get them on the schedule. Done!