Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
If I were treating this lawn I would expect to knock those weeds, BUT you and the customer must understand weed control is much more than chemical applications. I could go on for days but in a nutshell weed control is a combination of all practices; Mowing, watering, fertilization, environment and more. That is one reason I am hesitant to treat a lawn that I do not control all factors.
Well put. I often say "You will never hear me say 'my diagnosis is that your turf has inadequate levels of pesticides'. "
Old 11-23-2013, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you everyone for the input. I have talked to the CO twice this year and both times it has been a couple weeks to a month after treatments and once I just said forget it when weeds had not shown a sign of dying. Being at these properties weekly I get an idea of what's dying and what's growing. To be honest I think I've seen once this year where weeds where browning and died off. I agree weeds are going to pop up in bare spots why we don't mow any lower than 3". I have turf established and weeds are still visible in different area's of this lawn. This picture is another example of the same property. This property has been mowed at 4.25" Edged down sidewalks. Leaves were not down when last treated.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A dandelion 8 inches across did not sprout yesterday. At that size it is...I would say...at least 6 months old. I would say your spraying contractor should be spraying weed control wall to wall about in June and October. And maybe spot spray in August. Remember, that dandelion will bloom with a big yellow flower about the date of your second mowing (perhaps mid April where you live). Don't pay until they fix the weed situation. Its not too late to spray again this year. Suggest that you will get your own license, or hire another company. Of course, its only natural for a tiny number of weeds to survive. If your company controlled 99 percent they are doing fine.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Of, course edging is a problem. It disturbs the soil and removes a bit of grass. You should expect weed seeds to take hold when fresh soil is exposed by edging. Crabgrass, too. The pre-emergent barrier in the soil is ruined by edging. A dry summer (and dormancy) followed by late summer rains seems to stimulate dandelions, sometimes causing fall bloom of dandelions.
Naturally tiny areas behind rosebushes are difficult if not impossible to treat with a ride-on.

Is this Bermuda and fescue?

How many times did you contract to have the lawn weeds sprayed? What product did they use? What equipment? Ride-on? Long hose? Back packs? Good people, experienced or temporary workers? You could write into your contract--only workers with 1 year or more experience allowed to do the work. Or only licensed people.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Is this Bermuda and fescue?

How many times did you contract to have the lawn weeds sprayed? What product did they use? What equipment? Ride-on? Long hose? Back packs? Good people, experienced or temporary workers? You could write into your contract--only workers with 1 year or more experience allowed to do the work. Or only licensed people.
It is a mix of Bermuda and fescue, They claim to spray for weeds on every treatment (I think they are lying) long hose, now the cats out of the bag it is Trugreen that's doing the applications. Personally I knew it wasn't going to be perfect but I thought it would be better than what results I have seen.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First step is admitting you have a problem
Old 11-23-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk View Post
It is a mix of Bermuda and fescue, They claim to spray for weeds on every treatment (I think they are lying) long hose, now the cats out of the bag it is Trugreen that's doing the applications. Personally I knew it wasn't going to be perfect but I thought it would be better than what results I have seen.
This is why I do not believe in mixed species lawns. What you can do on a cool season lawn, should not be done to a warm season lawn. The high rates of Three Way tolerated by fescue would injure the bermuda. Also, the low mowing needed for bermuda to be dense and healthy would be bad for fescue. High mowing with a rotary in bermuda brings weeds. My policy applies to lawns with different species of warm season grasses as well.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 11-23-2013, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mixed lawns are tough. Especially with a cool and warm season mix. What I spray on Bermuda will kill fescue so I make the customer choose.

Maybe you should request to meet the applicator on the day he is coming. Show him your concerns and take some pics of problem areas and him spraying those areas. Then check back as see about results.

Those weeds you have posted are very easy to kill so your applicator may be missing some spots.

You may also look into a local company that could treat for you. I know I have been able to steal a lot of trugreen customers who were unhappy and wanted a local guy.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My first though was that this lawn was a fescue lawn over taken buy nibwill.

But I am not a Bermuda grass expert buy any means

Charles Cue
Old 11-23-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They're not treating for weeds, period. A 6 app schedule puts them on the lawn in PLENTY of time to catch weeds before they get that far out if control. Even if you were "chemical edging" the weeds would not get that far out of control. I have taken lawns that were completely trashed with clover and broadleaf weeds, a blanket liquid app in the spring and a spot spray app for round 2 and the lawn is 95% weed free. By app 3 most people would consider the lawn completely turned around.
Someone is being lazy and just throwing fert. You should have much better results by now.
Posted via Mobile Device