Register free!

Old 04-01-2015, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Storing firewood?

Any of you guys that sell firewood have any ideas on storage? I've been selling my share of firewood over the winter and have about 10 cords and growing in the back yard. It's been kept dry laying on tarps, tarped over the top, and tarps all around. The wood pile is steady growing, anyone have any ideas where to store your stocks who sells on the side of lawns and landscaping? I have a storage facility next to my house, I'm wondering if it would be ideal to rent two or three storage facilities. I think I could get three for less than $75.00 a month. And probably fit 15+ cords in there. Anyone have any clever solutions as this stuff is starting to take up more space in the back yard than I had hoped for?
Old 04-02-2015, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I hear where you're coming from because I was in the same situation a couple years ago. Worried about "how to keep my wood dry". Covering it with a tarp is in my opinion worse than leaving the wood uncovered. While I've heard that using black or clear plastic will help to dry the wood using the sun, I find that using a tarp does more to keep moisture in and create mold and mildew than to dry the wood. The way that I find best to store wood is split it in the spring, throw it in windrows (long tall piles) going from north to south. That way the sun toasts it on the east side in morning and the west side in the pm. Your wood should be ready to burn in the fall. I'm also assuming here in NY is a lot more wet than Texas and this has worked fine for me.

The most important part I think is to keep the wood off the ground and out of the dirt and mud. Getting air up underneath it also helps which is why as I'm throwing the wood into windrows I will throw down pallets I get underneath. I can usually find lots of pallets for free from businesses that go through them regularly and in the fall when the wood is going, I'll use the pallets to have some field bonfires
Old 04-02-2015, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I know nothing about firewood. I know a little about efficiency. I can't imagine the additional handling required to move your wood to a storage facility.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2015, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just stack and tarp it all in my backyard.
Echo PE-200 Edger
Echo HC-152 Hedge Trimmer
Echo PAS-230 with Articulating hedge trimmer, straight shaft edger, power pruner, and pro torque trimmer
Echo CS-370 Chainsaw
Husqvarna 130-BT Backpack Blower
Stihl Br600 backpack blower

Check out my youtube channel for lawn care videos and small engine repair!

https://www.youtube.com/ilike2mow
Old 04-02-2015, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Covering it with a tarp is in my opinion worse than leaving the wood uncovered
You are correct with this. The best way to store wood is to make a tent over top of the wood. Use poles or something to get the covering off the wood a little. The wood needs air to breath.

Also, I wouldn't put the wood in a storage unit. Snakes, mice, and spiders like to inhabit wood piles. Putting wood inside only increases the chances of you getting bit by something.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Wood needs airflow to dry and the more sun the better. The best way to season wood is in single rowed stacks in a field. But selling wood commercially doesn't allow you to do that. It takes up too much space in single rows. And of course the effort needed to stack wood properly so it doesn't fall over in a big thunderstorm.

Some prefer not to top cover until they are a couple of months away from burning it. Me personally, I always top cover. I have better results.

The reality is, there isn't a lot of money to be made in selling firewood verses the effort it takes to handle it. Reduce your steps, so you have a fighting chance to come out ahead. You may consider just throwing it in piles and let it start to dry like that.

It's a myth that splitting hardwood in the spring means it's ready to burn in the fall. Unless of course you live in a dry climate. Oak and a few other hardwoods take a minimum of two years to season properly. In my area, oak takes three years before it's perfectly seasoned. Other varieties of hardwood like maple and cherry can be ready in as little as a year, but more than likely 18 months.

For those that doubt that, buy a cheap moisture meter from Harbor Freight or a big box store. Right before you deliver a load of wood to a customer, take a split and split it once again. Measure the wood in the freshly split area, not on the ends. If it's not close to 20% moisture, the wood isn't ready.

Renting a building to store wood would be great, but unless you are able to sell a premium product to a restaurant, or a homeowner with too much money, I don't think it's worth it. Stacking green wood in a building for a couple of years will give you the same quality of wood sold by kiln dry operators. That's something restaurants love and will pay $100 more per cord to get it . But the only one coming out ahead will be the guy you lease the building from.

My suggestion is to throw it in piles and sell it whenever you can. It won't be seasoned properly, but neither is the wood delivered by 99% of the other guys selling firewood.