Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2013, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Skid sprayer on 5x10 trailer

I'm thinking of running my smaller skid on the trailer like this in the spring. bad idea? 50 gallon skid, 5x10 single axle trailer. skid empty is 100lbs or under, so full about 500lbs, then a mower back there. I assume it would be ideal to have it over the axle, but then no room for a mower. I have a 100gal skid in my truck so this would give me a little extra in the spring so i wouldn't have to go home to fill up as much. i'd be able to spray 80k sq. ft. on one trip, or close to 100k sq. ft. if i go to 1.5 gal rate on my 100 gal skid (i'm at 2 gal per minute now)

I'd have to put my 21 inch mower in the truck bed behind the 100gal skid.. and that leaves no room for a spreader though.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If its functional. Role with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like it would work maybe to balance out trailer move the mower to the back a little more. Mount a spreader carrier on the front of the truck.

Charles Cue
Old 11-22-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would say--upgrade to a bigger tank, and carry the new setup on your truck. Tanks are relatively cheap. 200 gal model only weighs 66 pounds.
http://raventank.com/ravencatalog.pdf

Then you should have room enough for a spreader. For instance the Earthway C22 50 pound in stainless steel. Find a way to move the skid sprayer off the truck when you don't need it for the week; use a winch to slide it off or whatever is needed.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Id roll with it.. 50g never got me very far, so I got a 100g tank.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Water weighs 8.5 lbs per gallon. Add weight of chemicals and you're looking at around 450lbs plus weight of sprayer. What is the tongue weight limit for the truck?? Put water in it and take it for a spin. If it doesn't "fish tail", you're in business. I'd use it on the first part of your route each day, then use your sprayer in the truck(If carrying the same mix)

I carried two 110 gallon tanks in a 6x10 single axle trailer when I first started. I centered the tanks over the axle though. I had no problems (3500lb axle)
Old 11-26-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well, i'm gonna give it a try and see how it works. I used to put my aerator and 21" in the same spot on the trailer with the 36" mower over the axle.. (it was fine going down the road) so the weight should be about the same. I'm not sure of the tongue weight limit on the truck (chevy silverado 1500), but i have a class III hitch, so assuming about 600lbs. I assume with the mower near the tail sorta counter balancing the weight should be OK. I know somebody mentioned to move the mower back some, but its as far back as it will go where the gate can be closed.

My other option is having the skid frame modified so that it will fit on the truck behind the 100 gallon skid. It is a few inches shy of fitting on there now.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

skid

Good point, Inzane. I had a welder modify my skid sprayer so I could fit my spreader on the truck. Or you could get a smaller spreader...you seldom need more than 50 pounds in the hopper anyway.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Looks like it could work. I like the idea of having everything with you. Make one stop on the property and knock out both mowing and spraying.
Posted via Mobile Device