Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo
Every area is different and it seems you believe a lot of things that aren't true when it comes to certain equipment. No advice is better than giving false advice.
That's exactly what I just said. Maybe you should pay closer attention to what you read before you post. He's in an area that has stiff, weedy type turf, and only has to worry about his own property. He may be able to get away with cutting at full speed on his own place, but he couldn't do it anywhere around here, and tons of other members have tried telling him the same thing.

You're just trying to pour fuel on the fire because you're full of crap on the blower issue, and you have been posting info that is misleading at best, and some of it has been downright wrong. What I said there is correct- everyone should demo them for themselves to see what each can do in the rel world.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 11-24-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
I live in central ct. could be further north, but its certainly not the south. and I can cut at 15mph if the lawn is smooth enough and it you won't be able to see the small amount of grass it misses. especially with high lift blades and if your only taking off a few inches. I'm certainly not a hack job, and I have been cutting some of my customers lawns for 6 or 7 years maybe longer. all my lawns look great, no difference between my cut or any other professional landscape company in ct. some may have straighter lines, but that's about it. either way all my customers love how their lawn looks after i cut it, and they are free to switch company's any time they want, they stay with me because they like the quality they are getting and because the price works for them.
I wasn't saying or meaning to imply you were bro. Sorry if it came across that way. not my intent.

Just that someone who constantly tells others (like puppy always does) that they can mow at full sticks anywhere or anytime and leave a fine finish is not doing anyone any favor, nor are they correct.

I have never seen you post anything like that. I know there are times here and there up in northern areas where we can get away with full stick mowing, but they aren't that common due to a variety of reasons. Your post even says "only taking off a few inches" and that's partly what I am talking about. up here, especially when the grass is going ballistic in the spring (like you know it can and often does), going full speed will just not work.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not pouring anything and certainly not full of crap. Its just better to give no advice rather than false advice about certain equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly right, and exactly what I have been telling you.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No need to be upset about it. Just saying that if you dont actually use the equipment being talked about, and give advice about it, it isn't good to do and give somebody reading about it the wrong impression. Just helping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You don't have to own the equipment to know whether or not it works, nor how well it works. After all, how many guys here demo ZTR's before buying, and then choose the one that suits them the best? That's the entire purpose of a demo right? Plus, after a lot of years in this business, I have had a chance to run a lot of different machines, both BP's and Z's and all the other HH equipment that is used in our business line. I have a pretty good understanding of what works and what doesn't. When it's something I have never used, I don't post about it other than asking questions, which I'm not afraid to do. I've learned a bunch of stuff off this site from both asking and reading, and more yet through PM's with guys.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Like I said, if you don't own the equipment you're giving advice/criticism about, its better not to give any. It gives the wrong impression to guys who are thinking about buying the equipment who can get advice from those who actually run that certain piece of equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That simply makes no sense.
Slow down a little when reading other people's posts and try to comprehend what they are saying a bit more.

On top of that, you might want to heed your own advice. You argued with me tooth and nail about the BP's before you had even run a 570, let alone owned one. I have quite a bit of time on both, and two full seasons on the 570. I have more than enough experience with them to know how they work on all sorts of debris, not just leaves. You keep posting in all the blower threads now that there's a vast difference between the 570 and 580 and that is flat out BS. It is also why I keep telling guys to go demo for themselves.

As I said above, I've owned and/or run different mowers over the years now too. Watched other I haven't run cut right next to me on the exact same turf enough to know how they work on it compared to how the ones I've run work as well.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And the 580 is indeed more powerful. That's a no-brainer. Not only is it bigger its more powerful. Not a big deal. The 570 is a great blower and a perfect mow and blow blower and for smaller cleanups.

If you haven't run the Cheetah I'm not sure why you feel you're able to give valid advice. There's guys that have it that can give that advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have been cutting with the velocity deck since its inception in 2006(For the record I did sell my last Scag this season). It is arguably the best cutting deck in almost all conditions, especially wet. It is a great high speed cutting deck but it will not cut cleanly over 11mph on fine fescue. When cutting off more than 3 inches at a time you will also get a carpet of clippings that will cover the top of the turf. It will not clump, but will carpet with long clippings.

On a side note, I have yet to see any lawns or pics of lawns that have been cut at 13 mph+ with any brand produce what I consider good cut quality.
Posted via Mobile Device