Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-24-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
I live in central ct. could be further north, but its certainly not the south. and I can cut at 15mph if the lawn is smooth enough and it you won't be able to see the small amount of grass it misses. especially with high lift blades and if your only taking off a few inches. I'm certainly not a hack job, and I have been cutting some of my customers lawns for 6 or 7 years maybe longer. all my lawns look great, no difference between my cut or any other professional landscape company in ct. some may have straighter lines, but that's about it. either way all my customers love how their lawn looks after i cut it, and they are free to switch company's any time they want, they stay with me because they like the quality they are getting and because the price works for them.
What you've stated proves Ridin to be incorrect. Based on his math the blades cannot turn fast enough to cut without leaving standing grass at 15 mph, and based on his calculations, it makes no difference if it is southern or northern grasses, the blades just plain can't keep up.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

RSK...I am in Central CT also and I actually agree with you fully on this. The lawn I spoke of is dead flat and is wide open. You still have to slow down for turns or you will rip up the ends. Customers do want nice stripes and lawns that are cut completely, on time, and trimmed cleanly. The only reason I cut that one in high gear is it was the end of the season and I wanted to try out the machine to see what it could/could not do. I would NOT recommend cutting in high gear on anything but a dead flat, smooth surface like a football field. Even then you should be cutting at the high end of low gear to maintain control.
Customer service is the cornerstone of this business. My issue, like with plowing, is the new guys undercutting on price just to get known or because they want the job and don't care who they stiff to get it. I have seen people get accounts where they must be loosing money but they are happy just because they have the account.
I have been plowing for nearly 20 years and doing lawn care professionally for the last 4. I come right out and tell my customers, "I have a home just like you. When I hire someone for a job I don't mind if the guy eats. He can have steak or lobster, but not both. I charge for my services by the same rule".
Old 11-24-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed a cheetah 61 to compaire to my turf tiger I bought this year and the engine loads the same way when taking off after a turn , the deck still leaves streams of uncut grass on July growth, non irrigated turf. The Tennessee rep has been in touch with me several times since I expressed my issues at the GIE. His solution" just buy the biggest engine" he claimed the engine hp was over rated . I do however love the discharge under all mowing conditions.
I would love to add unless they changed the 570 blowers last year the 580 is substantially better once you take off the small tip, I just thrower mine away because it's a lot more powerful off, opening up the airflow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
What you've stated proves Ridin to be incorrect. Based on his math the blades cannot turn fast enough to cut without leaving standing grass at 15 mph, and based on his calculations, it makes no difference if it is southern or northern grasses, the blades just plain can't keep up.
One guy posts about taking off a few inches at a time at full speed on his machine (which may not go near as fast as yours does) and you want to take that lone example as the facts because it suits your narrative, while over and over the last few years you've been ignoring all the others who have told you time and again that it is possible here and there at times, but nowhere nearly all the time. Instead of always posting your opinion based off of mowing only southern turf on your own place, come on up here in the north somewhere and run a full season over other folks properties and then come back and tell us all about how you were able to mow at full speed all the time.

GMLC is spot on. No one is going to cleanly cut fine fescue in one pass at full sticks, especially when it gets drier out.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
And the 580 is indeed more powerful. That's a no-brainer. Not only is it bigger its more powerful. Not a big deal. The 570 is a great blower and a perfect mow and blow blower and for smaller cleanups.

If you haven't run the Cheetah I'm not sure why you feel you're able to give valid advice. There's guys that have it that can give that advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Why do you think everyone has to own every piece of equipment to know how they perform? I live in an area that has become heavily saturated with LCO's . (Heck, that goes for most of this state anymore since the auto industry crapped out here and moved south. Everyone here is somehow tied to the auto industry in one way or another). I get to see a LOT of different brands out cutting on the same exact types of turf I cut. The V+ is an excellent deck. It cuts great under just about any condition anyone can think of, but it isn't a miracle deck that defies the laws of physics and nature. On fine fescue (which is everywhere here) it simply can't regularly cut clean in one pass at speeds over 10-12 mph.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If I'm looking for advice on a piece of equipment or most any product, I'm going to take it from people who have firsthand experience. They'll have better info than those who don't use it on a regular basis and go off of what they see or hear rather than experiencing it. Just makes sense and better info comes of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2013, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So, according to you, I'd be better able to tell how the cut is because I am on the machine looking down at it vs walking across it and looking down at it?

You're really reaching now bro.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bottom line is that firsthand info is better info. I would definitely take the advice of somebody who has operated/owned the machine over somebody that hasn't/doesn't.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2013, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Obviously if someone has no experience at all their opinion is just that, but that isn't the case here and you know good and well it isn't.

This entire forum is based on the member's opinions and/or experiences. There wouldn't be much of a forum if only people who owned the machine being discussed could post. It doesn't take owning something to have a valid opinion about it.

You simply like to argue, and you always have to have the last word in these threads, even if it is redundant.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

As I have posted in the past, I have had several manufacturers tell me cut quality starts to diminish around 11 mph. 11 mph happens to be around the top speed of many machines(not by chance). The technology has been around for many years to make a ZTR much much faster. If you call any of the manufacturers that produce these faster machines they will tell you top speed is for transport. I have seen one video(that Puppy posted)by Scag that shows a Cheetah cutting at full speed. Scag has told me otherwise as well as Hustler.
Posted via Mobile Device