Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2014, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Rookies business Plan

Hey everyone
So im 19 years old and I have a small landscscaping business, and im trying to stray away from landscaping and run a part time fertilizing company. Then i can concentrate on school and my other job. Im very ambitious and hard working and would love to turn it into a successul business (obviously not this year,but next year). I called the OH Dept. of agriculture and was informed on the qualifications to get a license. You need to pass a core exam and 2 category exams, along with some fee's. You also need insurance which is new to me. How much would i be paying a month? ( I know it varies state to state) anyone have a good agency they recommend in North East OH. Im thinking of getting a used ride on. That way i will be more versitile with granular and liquid. Ive read many different posts on wich is better liquid or granular seems like everyone has there opinions why they like it and dont. I read that liquid is cheaper so i dont want to miss out on that.Later in the year Im gona go talk it up with the John Deer dealer to get prices for the differet apps. What quantity should i start off buying, i have warehouse space that i can use to store it (if its within regulation) whats the shelf life on this stuff? I know its alot of question, I just want to know if its worth investing my time and money into this. Id love to hear all yours guy's advice and storys.
Thanks
Old 03-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Sponsor

Reads like you have way to many irons in the fire. Your ambition level is to be commended, however I believe your attempting to accomplish to much in to short of a time period. Are you a PT or FT student?, what is your other job?. You said that your going to visit your local JD dealer to get prices for different apps?
Do you actually have any experience as a pest control operator?, have you ever worked for someone that is a licensed PCO. I need more information before I can provide any advise, most of that is really common sense.
If you need help with creating a business plan contact score.org there is no cost associated with this free service and the members can advise you how to put together an actual business plan going forward.
easy-lift guy
Old 03-30-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get licensed. You will have to buy small amounts at first--say buy enough for a month. Then go back. Dry fertilizer and liquid weed control is the way to go. You need a good spreader in stainless steel. And a backpack sprayer. You can postpone the ride-on purchase until next year.
Put together a marketing plan. You need to find customers.

Talk to your JDL dealer NOW--plan ahead--its very late to be deciding on your agronomic program and making your purchase plans.
Shelf life is not a problem. Storage of small amounts is not a problem. Insurance will probably cost between 800 and a thousand per year.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't do it. Live with your parents forever.

It's a jungle out here.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm fine with just granular, but I heard liquid is cheaper. That why I would spend the extra money on a ride on. To get my name out there ill put some decals on my truck, Customized polo shirt with my business on it. That way I look professional when I go door to door selling my service. I'm gona make a website and some other online marketing tools. With out advertising I'd say I have about 30 costumers lined up. None of those being commercial. How many commercial accounts do you have. Is it hard picking them up this is ur only expertise? This is all for next year so I think I have time. But I'm gona up there soon! That's not bad for insurance at all!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Your telling me Cadzilla I'm already out in the jungle 😁
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutsmartlawncare1 View Post
Hey everyone
So im 19 years old and I have a small landscscaping business, and im trying to stray away from landscaping and run a part time fertilizing company. Then i can concentrate on school and my other job. Im very ambitious and hard working and would love to turn it into a successul business (obviously not this year,but next year). I called the OH Dept. of agriculture and was informed on the qualifications to get a license. You need to pass a core exam and 2 category exams, along with some fee's. You also need insurance which is new to me. How much would i be paying a month? ( I know it varies state to state) anyone have a good agency they recommend in North East OH. Im thinking of getting a used ride on. That way i will be more versitile with granular and liquid. Ive read many different posts on wich is better liquid or granular seems like everyone has there opinions why they like it and dont. I read that liquid is cheaper so i dont want to miss out on that.Later in the year Im gona go talk it up with the John Deer dealer to get prices for the differet apps. What quantity should i start off buying, i have warehouse space that i can use to store it (if its within regulation) whats the shelf life on this stuff? I know its alot of question, I just want to know if its worth investing my time and money into this. Id love to hear all yours guy's advice and storys.
Thanks
Buddy hats off to you, most young guys are lazy, to have the drive is what will get you ahead in life. I own a fertilization company and we do pest control, mosquito and tick control. If I could go back in time till I was 19 and know what i know now........ my advice to you would be to go get your license, go to work for a pest control company, go to the nearest univar or residex and talk to one of the outside salesman, which company in your area is a good one to apply to. Learn everything you can there. That is the buisness to get into. You have better profit margins by far. You can spray foundations when your 70 with a hand can, but you wont be digging holes for trees when your 70. MY 2 cents Im in my 40's. Lawn care is seasonal up here, pest control you can do all year long and have a steady income vs the seasonal fluctuations. Plus when its time to sell pest control gets a good margin....good luck
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 04-04-2014, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Buddy hats off to you, most young guys are lazy, to have the drive is what will get you ahead in life. I own a fertilization company and we do pest control, mosquito and tick control. If I could go back in time till I was 19 and know what i know now........ my advice to you would be to go get your license, go to work for a pest control company, go to the nearest univar or residex and talk to one of the outside salesman, which company in your area is a good one to apply to. Learn everything you can there. That is the buisness to get into. You have better profit margins by far. You can spray foundations when your 70 with a hand can, but you wont be digging holes for trees when your 70. MY 2 cents Im in my 40's. Lawn care is seasonal up here, pest control you can do all year long and have a steady income vs the seasonal fluctuations. Plus when its time to sell pest control gets a good margin....good luck
Yep I sprayed apartments today took 4 hours cost $14 in fuel. $8 dollars in product and charged $340.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2014, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Buddy hats off to you, most young guys are lazy, to have the drive is what will get you ahead in life. I own a fertilization company and we do pest control, mosquito and tick control. If I could go back in time till I was 19 and know what i know my advice to you would be to go get your license, go to work for a pest control company, go to the nearest univar or residex and talk to one of the outside salesman, which company in your area is a good one to apply to. Learn everything you can there. That is the buisness to get into. You have better profit margins by far. You can spray foundations when your 70 with a hand can, but you wont be digging holes for trees when your 70. MY 2 cents Im in my 40's. Lawn care is seasonal up here, pest control you can do all year long and have a steady income vs the seasonal fluctuations. Plus when its time to sell pest control gets a good margin....good luck
Everyone has to have a plan. Mine doesn't include working when I'm 70. To the OP you're on the right track but you need a business plan to help guide you. Score is a good suggestion but if you don't want to do that it doesn't have to be super professional using big business words or anything just a well researched guide for what you plan to accomplish, how you plan to do it, and how you will measure your success.
Posted via Mobile Device