Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

fall clean up apparel(gloves)

what is everyone wearing for gloves to do fall clean ups in late october and november. I have tried what seems like everything. ski gloves that cost 150 a pair, and my finger tips are still cold. I'm going to cabelas to pick up a pair of heated gloves maybe those will keep me warm.

Last edited by RSK Property Maintenance; 11-25-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use the thinnest gloves i can find, this year it was some DeWalt nitrile coated gloves. I can't stand bulky gloves that take away dexterity, nor is it posible to operate a stander with big gloves on
Old 11-25-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
I use the thinnest gloves i can find, this year it was some DeWalt nitrile coated gloves. I can't stand bulky gloves that take away dexterity, nor is it posible to operate a stander with big gloves on
its 23 degrees out, thin gloves won't work in connecticut in the cold.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not necessarily. No matter how warm the gloves are, the added surface area means they are less warm than much thinner mittens.

Admittedly, I don't work outside in the cold a lot, but I do have some good experience with the cold for other reasons, so maybe this will help in your situation.

When it is REALLY cold, I wear a pair of thin driving gloves. On top of that I have a pair of fleece glove/mittens with a rubber palm. The driving gloves keep the wind off your fingers, but don't impair your dexterity at all.
The glove/mittens cover my wrist and palm, and flip over the back to stick open on a velcro patch.

With my fingers sticking out covered only by my driving gloves, I can sort change between my fingers, and when they get cold (and they will), I pull the mitten cover over my fingertips, and I'm good to go. Covered up, the grippy palm is still good enough for driving a stick shift (just can't change the radio station of volume) or using a shovel. I can pull start my snow blower, and operate the handles, but not adjust the choke.
Without the driving gloves underneath, you can flip up the fingertip cover and see the "smoke" of the moisture on your skin evaporating off as your fingers get numb in seconds. So you need some sort of a wind proof "liner" glove on the inside. Just don't get something airtight, as latex/vinyl gloves will hold your sweat inside and cause other issues.

On the absolute coldest of days, the glove/mittens I've got have a pouch that sits behind your hand for a hand warmer packet.

Your heated glove idea is a not a bad one. I know people with heated jackets who love them.
That, or you could put heated grips on your equipment. I put "universal" heated grips on my snowblower. They ran me $5, and were just a printed heating sheet with shrink wrap. They suck, but are better than nothing. Real heated grips are $70+, but should be much better. I just couldn't justify the cost for only a couple of uses per year.

Last edited by rlitman; 11-25-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did a little googling. Look up:
GFP 930 Convertible Glove Mitten.

That's not quite what I have because mine don't have separate fingers, but it should give you an idea.
These would be a little warmer than mine when open, because of the separate fingers, but would also hurt your dexterity more. I think that would drive me nuts, but I couldn't quickly find any that were completely fingerless.

Last edited by rlitman; 11-25-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for the ideas. I can wear full on winter gloves, like ones for snow boarding or skiing, those have plenty of dexterity. that's not my issue, i'm just running my zero turn mower, or the leaf blower or maybe my hurricane. so nothing there requires thin gloves, i'm gonna try a set of the, and as for the winter time, i can adjust the choke on my ariens and pull start it no issues with gloves on. and the toro single stage snowblower are the same easy to use with gloves on. its really just fall clean ups where my hands get cold. snow blowing i'm back in my ford within 5-10mins even with the longest sidewalk i have to do, or driveways I have to snow blow, using an ariens really cuts down on me being out the truck much at all.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my hands get cold much easier than most other people. I am using $10 fleece gloves from sierra trading post when I am using a blower or if I need to grip im using Atlas Fit gloves- they also make a thicker grey pair for winter. I 'feel' for you and hope you find a good solution. Also I put my hands near the exhaust of the walk behind blower when its cold- that helps so much, but be careful its super hot and WILL burn you if not careful.
Also I rub my hands, clap and relax my wrists and shake my arms back and fourth rapidly while my hands flop side to side- this all helps circulation. Well good luck
Old 11-25-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I used machanic gloves when its got as cold out and some sort of insulated work gloves when its colder. The trick is to keep moving and you will stay warm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
I used machanic gloves when its got as cold out and some sort of insulated work gloves when its colder. The trick is to keep moving and you will stay warm.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm constantly moving my legs, but my hands aren't moving too much, I'm gonna try and find something that is windproof, I used these gloves today and they worked fine for the afternoon but it was much warmer. I'm gonna try them again tomorrow morning. but it sounds like good set of windproof gloves will keep my fingers warmer.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yea I have the gore windstopper gloves that are fleece, -10 or 12 from sierra trading post. they work pretty good.