Register free!

Old 11-25-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Who here runs the Z Jr36R?

This machine is still in the running as a replacement for my PG. Who out there runs it? Likes/dislikes? I know hills might be a challenge.

MOST importantly, how does this machine fare on 5k sq ft lawns with lots of turns, landscape beds, etc? This is where I need a machine like this most.

Why would a person buy this machine over the Jr36? Weight only? Or no real advantage?

It's coming down to the Jr36r or GL for me I believe. The T is hanging in there by a thread but I think it will be too cumbersome on small lawns.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-25-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Why the jr36r over a reg jr36? Simple answer is its rackable. It may have a lower cog also. The con is it has less options compared to a jr36.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Beings your already pulling a trailer for your mowers, get the Jr36 you can put that anywhere you can put the Jr36R. Why not
Old 11-26-2013, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Andy is making a short stop over next Tues so my guys can see it and try to talk me out of 5 for next year. This is after we have owned full sized z sprays for years and tried to like a ground logic this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Andy is making a short stop over next Tues so my guys can see it and try to talk me out of 5 for next year. This is after we have owned full sized z sprays for years and tried to like a ground logic this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well let me know what you think, even though sounds like you havent actually used the rackable unit in production yet, right?

And what do you mean 'tried' to like a GL unit? What did you not like about it? Important to know from tried and true vets like yourself.
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

Old 11-26-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
And what do you mean 'tried' to like a GL unit? What did you not like about it? Important to know from tried and true vets like yourself.
The GL is an overflow machine for us. We over sold our target sq ft this year and when I realized, we added this in a pinch as we couldn't wait 6 weeks for another z to be made for us. For reference, it's has 75 or so hours on it since june when we bought it. Of the days we tried to use it, it has lost 5 days total on 2 occasions to engine issues and another 2 days to a piss poor hose routing causing one to leak. When it works it's a great machine but it's hardly reliable. Our z sprays were new in January go out daily and have 500 or so hours each with no down time. How can we not keep giving them our business when their machines are rock solid like this.

Last edited by Efficiency; 11-26-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Why the jr36r over a reg jr36? Simple answer is its rackable. It may have a lower cog also. The con is it has less options compared to a jr36.
Posted via Mobile Device
There is one 36r floating around with an iso tank. I'm trying to sit on them to make this an option, at the very least for me.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
There is one 36r floating around with an iso tank. I'm trying to sit on them to make this an option, at the very least for me.
If they make the iso tank an option why even look at a GL.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

We purchased a 36R 6 weeks ago just to try it out and compare to our fleet of JR 36's and have put about 75 hours on it so far. Its ability to fit on a rack was the reason for trying one so we could make the best decision on future machines.

The machine has been completely reliable just like our other units. It operates just the same as other z-sprays so anyone that is familiar with a z-spray can operate it no problem. The smaller engine is louder than the normal vanguard, but does have enough power. The front casters are smaller so they do tend to wobble around a little more and it does have a little bumpier ride. It does tend to pop wheelies when empty, but not with product in the machine. The machine can still climb curbs even with the tank low underneath. The fuel guage that shows spray tank level is less than ideal compared to seeing actual fluid levels on other units, but it is something the operator gets used to and can just run the machine out before refilling a complete 20 gallons. The spray pattern is a little different than other z-sprays but does still get a good coverage when calibrated. The machine can get in some areas JR 36's cannot (tight fences, or tree groups,inbetween a/c units on condos) just because it doesnt have the extra bag boxes on the back and is a shorter footprint. Operating on slopes is similiar to other z-sprays even without the locking casters.

The rack itself has some obstacles. Does need two hitch recievers or is to wobbly to transport. Operator has to be very careful when unloading especially if caster wheels moved around while transporting tends to want to drive off the sides of the ramps. Ramp has a small dovetail and can drag back corner on the ground at times during normal driving. Should really be angled towards the truck like the permagreen racks. If property slopes down from the road 36R will not get back up the ramps it needs to be loaded when on flat ground.

We have not made up our mind either way for 2014 yet to buy more JR 36's or go with 36R's. We have tried a few ride on brands and l.t. rich units have proved superior in operation. Thats most of what I can think of without specific questions about the unit.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by strassmw View Post
We purchased a 36R 6 weeks ago just to try it out and compare to our fleet of JR 36's and have put about 75 hours on it so far. Its ability to fit on a rack was the reason for trying one so we could make the best decision on future machines.

The machine has been completely reliable just like our other units. It operates just the same as other z-sprays so anyone that is familiar with a z-spray can operate it no problem. The smaller engine is louder than the normal vanguard, but does have enough power. The front casters are smaller so they do tend to wobble around a little more and it does have a little bumpier ride. It does tend to pop wheelies when empty, but not with product in the machine. The machine can still climb curbs even with the tank low underneath. The fuel guage that shows spray tank level is less than ideal compared to seeing actual fluid levels on other units, but it is something the operator gets used to and can just run the machine out before refilling a complete 20 gallons. The spray pattern is a little different than other z-sprays but does still get a good coverage when calibrated. The machine can get in some areas JR 36's cannot (tight fences, or tree groups,inbetween a/c units on condos) just because it doesnt have the extra bag boxes on the back and is a shorter footprint. Operating on slopes is similiar to other z-sprays even without the locking casters.

The rack itself has some obstacles. Does need two hitch recievers or is to wobbly to transport. Operator has to be very careful when unloading especially if caster wheels moved around while transporting tends to want to drive off the sides of the ramps. Ramp has a small dovetail and can drag back corner on the ground at times during normal driving. Should really be angled towards the truck like the permagreen racks. If property slopes down from the road 36R will not get back up the ramps it needs to be loaded when on flat ground.

We have not made up our mind either way for 2014 yet to buy more JR 36's or go with 36R's. We have tried a few ride on brands and l.t. rich units have proved superior in operation. Thats most of what I can think of without specific questions about the unit.
This here is what I was looking for, thanks a bunch! When you say has a little different spray pattern, what do you mean by that? I know it does not have a boom rather 3 fixed nozzles right? And I believe they are std Floodjets right, not AI's? Do you feel the coverage is good compared to your other machines? I would need it to be at least as good as a single noz PG and hopefully a fair deal better.
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator