Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-26-2013, 12:21 AM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,899
Problems with checks, sign of the times

This year I have had more problems with my clients checks than before.

Frankly, I seldom write checks. I do the payroll via check and I have about only 2 vendors whom I write checks to, other than that I pay everything with debit or online.

I'm finding this to be the same case for my customers.

I'm finding that people are making mistakes with writing checks to us, as they're not used to writing checks anymore.

People are not filling out the dollar amounts correctly, I'm not catching it, and the banks are not honoring the amounts as they should be. I believe this year I have had 3 people give me checks not properly written out.

And last week I had a client write me 2 checks totaling over $8k. They were returned. NSF. This customer, the man is a high profile DC attorney, very nice man, very down to earth, and friends with other high profile names that we hear in the national news. The wife is very nice, personable, and down to earth.

I got notice from my bank that the checks were not honored. I was furious, but I also had a strong hunch that they made an honest mistake. They were both way to nice to me and went out of their way to chat with me when we were working there. Had they been up to no good - they would have avoided me.

Sure enough, she said "oh my god I am so sorry and embarrassed, we do everything automatically electronically, I grabbed the wrong check books, we never write checks anymore".

I'd guess that about 40-45% of our clients paid via credit / debit card this year. Higher number than ever before. It's seeming like accepting checks is becoming more and more of a pain in the arse.

Anyone else experiencing problems with customers checks as a result from today's times?
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-26-2013, 01:07 AM
TheLugNutZ TheLugNutZ is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Howell, NJ
Posts: 348
I was deciding of I should accept credit cards or not starting off. I think I will..
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-26-2013, 06:57 AM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is online now
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
This year I have had more problems with my clients checks than before.

Frankly, I seldom write checks. I do the payroll via check and I have about only 2 vendors whom I write checks to, other than that I pay everything with debit or online.

I'm finding this to be the same case for my customers.

I'm finding that people are making mistakes with writing checks to us, as they're not used to writing checks anymore.

People are not filling out the dollar amounts correctly, I'm not catching it, and the banks are not honoring the amounts as they should be. I believe this year I have had 3 people give me checks not properly written out.

And last week I had a client write me 2 checks totaling over $8k. They were returned. NSF. This customer, the man is a high profile DC attorney, very nice man, very down to earth, and friends with other high profile names that we hear in the national news. The wife is very nice, personable, and down to earth.

I got notice from my bank that the checks were not honored. I was furious, but I also had a strong hunch that they made an honest mistake. They were both way to nice to me and went out of their way to chat with me when we were working there. Had they been up to no good - they would have avoided me.

Sure enough, she said "oh my god I am so sorry and embarrassed, we do everything automatically electronically, I grabbed the wrong check books, we never write checks anymore".

I'd guess that about 40-45% of our clients paid via credit / debit card this year. Higher number than ever before. It's seeming like accepting checks is becoming more and more of a pain in the arse.

Anyone else experiencing problems with customers checks as a result from today's times?
Mistakes can and do happen when receiving checks for payment. If your customer sent you a check by mail or gives you one or several in person it is your responsibility to make sure they are at least filled out correctly before depositing them at your bank. The NSF situation can happen for any number of reasons and is still embarrassing. Do you collect after services are rendered or in advance?. If you presently collect after or at the end of the month consider prepay for all of your accounts starting 2014. At least you will have more time for the checks to be inspected before deposit,credited to your account.
easy-lift guy

Last edited by easy-lift guy; 11-26-2013 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Missing words
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-26-2013, 07:23 AM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 3,183
Everyone wanted to use the credit card during hurricane sandy cleanup but i havent gotten one since, strange.
My only issue with checks so far was $5k that bounced from a house flipper this summer. That got my heart pumping but he met me at 10pm that night with a new check plus $30 to cover the fee.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-26-2013, 09:25 PM
zedosix's Avatar
zedosix zedosix is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 2,429
Funny you should bring this up, I had a customer make me a cheque last night and when I picked it up this morning it was short by 900 dollars. "Mistake on my part" she said. That's twice this past month its happened.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-26-2013, 09:38 PM
RSK Property Maintenance's Avatar
RSK Property Maintenance RSK Property Maintenance is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester,CT
Posts: 1,464
no problems here. all my customers that pay by check make no mistakes when writing out the check. i think its just your customers getting careless or in rush idk man, I've deposited 30k in checks in the last few months not a single issue.
__________________
fully lic. and ins. 10yrs exp.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-26-2013, 10:20 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
no problems here. all my customers that pay by check make no mistakes when writing out the check. i think its just your customers getting careless or in rush idk man, I've deposited 30k in checks in the last few months not a single issue.
Typically checks for maintenance work are far less than checks for construction / installation. And the people write checks for maintenance on a regular basis, usually being around the same dollar amount each month.

The best way to be paid for mowing is to only do credit card payments. No postage needed. No mailing bills. No waiting on checks to come in. Mow the grass on Monday, and debit their card within 48 hrs of service, as per a written agreement with customer authorizing you to process their card. Cards do not bounce. they either go through or they don't, with no additional fees incurred.


.
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-26-2013, 10:25 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
Funny you should bring this up, I had a customer make me a cheque last night and when I picked it up this morning it was short by 900 dollars. "Mistake on my part" she said. That's twice this past month its happened.
Yep. People are not used to writing checks anymore. So they make mistakes. In the current year I have written 12 personal checks to this date. It's said that in the near future paper checks will be a thing of the past. Like phone books.
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-27-2013, 07:42 AM
shovelracer shovelracer is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 2,009
Since we are on the subject, my findings are very similar. Those of you that do large CC charges on a regular basis, do you charge the 3% or pad the price to cover, or discount for other methods, etc. By default I have learned to avoid talking about CC but we do take it a few times a year. I will say it really burns me up when you get that once in a while customer that haggles price for cash, then 5K later whips out the Visa. I guess I should brush up on my CC processing charge rights this winter.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-27-2013, 07:46 PM
RSK Property Maintenance's Avatar
RSK Property Maintenance RSK Property Maintenance is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester,CT
Posts: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Typically checks for maintenance work are far less than checks for construction / installation. And the people write checks for maintenance on a regular basis, usually being around the same dollar amount each month.

The best way to be paid for mowing is to only do credit card payments. No postage needed. No mailing bills. No waiting on checks to come in. Mow the grass on Monday, and debit their card within 48 hrs of service, as per a written agreement with customer authorizing you to process their card. Cards do not bounce. they either go through or they don't, with no additional fees incurred.


.
you are correct, i did do a 2'x50' retaining wall and extend a driveway 3' back with brick pavers 50' and that job totaled 10k. i do a lot of other stuff for quite a few customers with different amounts on a regular basis sometime they write my company name wrong, they write rfk property maintenance, rks property management. i've gotten just plain rsk. i've gotten rsk pm all sorts of variations didn't effect a thing.
__________________
fully lic. and ins. 10yrs exp.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 AM.

Page generated in 0.07818 seconds with 7 queries