Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-28-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Is this a true statement?

Visited a Kubota dealer yesterday. "All other ZTR manufacturers chassis cannot hold up to the torque of a Diesel engine." Kubota is the only manufacturer that makes their own Diesel engine for a ZTR and designs their machine to hold up to the weight and torque of the Diesel engine".

What's your experience on this subject true or false?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think Kubota is the only one that makes their own Diesel engines for ZTRs, and they do design their machine to hold up to the torque of the Diesel engine. So yes its true, and they are real good machines.

Other Brands are also good even though they dont make the engines they use.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

There's no such thing as a scag or exmark engine but their frames are plenty strong. My reason for not buying diesels this season was the weight issue. They weigh about 600 pounds more then the fuel injected 34 and 38 hp units I bought from exmark.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Across the board, SCUT, GT, ZTR, utility tractors... Kubota is probably the only manufacturer that makes and uses their own stuff. Granted on the new 700 series ZTR they are using a 3rd party engine, but as far as the diesel ZTR go. It is a true statement that they make their own stuff.

I believe regardless of brand, any manufacturer that offers a diesel in a ZTR, the chassis is much different than the gasoline version.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Would of thought John Deere would of made their own but after 10 mins of frustratingly searching though a poorly navigable site I finally found the the 997 is powered by a three-cylinder, liquid-cooled Yanmar® diesel engine. But seeing they do make their own diesels nothing is stopping them from jumping into kubotas class when ever they feel like it.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
There's no such thing as a scag or exmark engine but their frames are plenty strong. My reason for not buying diesels this season was the weight issue. They weigh about 600 pounds more then the fuel injected 34 and 38 hp units I bought from exmark.
Your 38 hp mower only weights 1000lbs? My zd326 weights 1660 lbs. In hustler the diesel only weights 100 lbs more than gas. I don't know if its a matter of holding up, but they are sure more balanced and easy to maintain because the chassis is made for the engine. With other mowers its like they stuffed a v8 in a ford focus.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Would of thought John Deere would of made their own but after 10 mins of frustratingly searching though a poorly navigable site I finally found the the 997 is powered by a three-cylinder, liquid-cooled Yanmar® diesel engine. But seeing they do make their own diesels nothing is stopping them from jumping into kubotas class when ever they feel like it.
Nope. You have to buy a 5000 series tractor before you get a complete JD built tractor..... Kubota you just have to buy their garden tractor. Kubota does not make a vertical engine so that's why they don't have one on thier z100 or z700 models.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Nope, until you get up to like a 5000 series (I think) JD tractor, they don't use their own engines. All of their SCUTs are such use Yanmar.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

But do the other manufacturers have trouble with their chassis with the Diesel engines?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltech View Post
But do the other manufacturers have trouble with their chassis with the Diesel engines?
Like I said.... other manufacturers diesel ZTRs have beefier chassis than their gas counterparts. All that Kubota offers in that particular series is diesel, so they are all built like a tank.