Old 11-30-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

New from Kansas City

Hi y'all

Thought I'd introduce myself as
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Accidentally posted, and don't know how to delete and restart so ...

Hi y'all

Thought I'd introduce myself as I've been LS obsessed these last few months.

I've decided to go all in, and start my lawn and landscape company. I'll be starting in spring, and the plan is to go from nothing to full time. I've got start up costs, preventive maintenance costs, insurance/license, business plan, great work ethic(used to working 60-80 hrs a week regularly) and the drive to make my business succeed.

Going to start with new 32" wright stander, stihl trimmer, edger and blower. Customer service will be very important to me. Will offer all different payment options including up to 30 day bills, also including credit card payment options off an iPad.

I hope to gain some customers with a monthly payment plan, and give the incentive of 10-20% off the whole months services if they pre-pay by the 1st.

Khakis, polos, and no facial hair, in general very clean cut appearance will be maintained.

I'm starting horticulture classes in the spring as well so I'm very eager to learn some landscaping/hardscaping skills.

Thanks to all the contributors on this website, it's been most helpful to read all the input from everyone.

Hope you all had a great thanksgiving,

Patrick
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New from Kansas City

How do you plan from going from nothing to a full time lawn and landscape company? Seems a little far fetched

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Sponsor

Greetings Patrick from the Sunshine State. I would suggest backing off your discount numbers. I offer a 5% Discount for payment within 10 days or Net-30. No discount for Credit Cards payments made.
Learn as much as you can now about landscape maintenance for your market area. The Spring will be here way before your classes start.
easy-lift guy
Old 11-30-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio Lawn Care View Post
How do you plan from going from nothing to a full time lawn and landscape company? Seems a little far fetched

Great question.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio Lawn Care View Post

I was anticipating that question. When I say 'full time', I don't mean that ill start out with a full schedule of customers. I simply mean that I'll be putting in 'full time' hours towards my business: networking, going door to door, setting up advertising with radio networks, giving estimates, etc.

Thanks,

Patrick
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Greetings Patrick from the Sunshine State. I would suggest backing off your discount numbers. I offer a 5% Discount for payment within 10 days or Net-30. No discount for Credit Cards payments made.
Learn as much as you can now about landscape maintenance for your market area. The Spring will be here way before your classes start.
easy-lift guy
Thanks for the reply! Does saving 5% attract customers? I mainly said 10-20 since I feel a consumer(in any industry) will be more tempted to gravitate towards a plan option if the discount is more significant. Getting books from the library and reading everything I can online about lawn maintenance and landscaping in my area.

Thanks again,

Patrick
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellman View Post
Thanks for the reply! Does saving 5% attract customers? I mainly said 10-20 since I feel a consumer(in any industry) will be more tempted to gravitate towards a plan option if the discount is more significant. Getting books from the library and reading everything I can online about lawn maintenance and landscaping in my area.

Thanks again,

Patrick
Posted via Mobile Device
I believe 5% is more than generous. If your to generous with your money in the beginning you will discover your customers will continue to seek more of your money and services. Keep your money I your pocket, where it really belongs.
easy-lift guy
Old 11-30-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome. GO CHIEFS! Are you going tomorrow as well?
Old 11-30-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also, the horticulture classes you speak of at MCC? Just curious, that's where I got my 2 year in turf maintenance. It's nice because there's a pesticide class that we took and got our applicators license afterwards. Message me if you have any questions. Networking with each other in our area is important. I've built some great relationships and made friends with others off this site in our area.