Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-01-2014, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mini Ex Comparison (CAT 305.5 vs. Kubota KX-057)

We are looking at another excavator. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this. Both are about 12,000 lb machines.

I just about fell off my chair when I got some preliminary prices on them today new, so I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. We have a U35 now we like and it's been completely problem free.

We'd get the new machine wth an angle blade, thumb, cab, etc.

Thoughts?
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 12-01-2014, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

These machines are a lot a like in many ways. Both have great breakout force, the control systems are both smooth, with the tie going to Kubota in my opinion. The CAT will give you a better cab, and the ability to dial in your aux. flows if that is important to you. I don't think Kubota has that ability yet. That to me would be enough to tip it toward the Cat. I have not checked but I bet the aux. flows are near equal. If you are simply digging holes and setting rock walls with it, you likely would not notice any of the features that the CAT has over the Kubota. If you plan on running mower/mulchers and other hyd. attachments than the ability to dial in your gpm is very cool. Price being equal and if you plan on demanding little of the machine beyond typical mini ex duties, then it would simply be your choice. If you are going to use multiple hyd attachments and CAT is not overly crazy on price, I would go with the CAT. I would make sure you get a quick coupler. WB has an excellent hyd coupler available.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We will most likely be using it for Boulder work, digging footers, and excavation work for Hardscapes. Probably some tree setting as well. At times we will run a breaker on it but not sure how often.

Thanks for the info.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 12-01-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I have always thought of Kubota as the tractor company that went into mini excavator production to get back at Bobcat for making tractors. Cat seems to over complicate their small equipment. We haven't had much luck with cat's compact equipment.
Have you looked at Bobcat mini excavators? My family is in the excavation/construction/utility business and we have around 10 bobcat mini ex's ranging from a 341 to 442. We bought 3 E60s last year with a thumb and they're holding up well. Zero tailswing, quick attach coupler so you don't have to leave the cab unless you have a hydraulic attachment of course, lots of power..etc; a lot of the same features as cat. Bobcat only makes compact equipment so their R&D focuses on compact equipment. Cat is great on the larger equipment but they just don't have me sold on their compact equipment.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've alway sworn by Kubota mini excavators. Solid machines. I have not tried the newer bobcat minis only because I have never liked their equipment. Cat is too expensive around here so never tried their stuff but they look nice. I also worked for a rental company many years ago and we ran Kubota minis (up to 161's) and those things stood their ground even against the idiot homeowner.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a KX057-4... did you get your price from Marshall? My salesman is Dave Olver, who I recommend.

The KX057 has the ability to adjust auxiliary flow, but I don't find that useful thus far as I run both circuits wide open and haven't had a need to slow down yet.

The KX057's factory thumb pretty well sucks, but aftermarkets are available and maybe a second factory thumb offering now.

I do wish Kubota had the option for a hydraulic quick coupler that uses the standard quick attach ears.

www.youtube.com/RutherfordConLLC I have a few videos of the 57 up. Would be happy to answer any questions.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Didn't get a price from Marshall but maybe I should. I've heard their name around.

I don't personally have anything against Bobcat or others. It's just that we have (2) Cat 287D's and (2) Cat 262's. We also have the Kubota U35. I just don't want to own another line of equipment and have to get used to another set of parts / dealership.

Ever since we got the U35 three years ago I see a lot of other Kubota's in the area, even with excavation companies. Kubota builds a very good excavator, I'm just not sure about the CAT line of excavators yet. We are demoing at 305.5 now and will put the 057 against it tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jarod, Marshall is an awesome dealer to work with. We own land in honesdale where they are located and use them alot. My uncle bought a tractor from them for our land and i know a few others have and all have great things to say
Old 12-02-2014, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have a contact there I could ask for? Thanks
Old 12-02-2014, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Dave Olver
(570) 903-7602

Tell him Carl sent you.

I'm in Mississippi, bought a KX057 and SVL90-2 from them
In the past year.
Posted via Mobile Device