Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Newly seeded fescue lawn turning yellow

Hello everyone,

I have a customers lawn who I aerated and overseeded about a month ago and it started to come in nicely but then started turning yellow and almost looks diseased. I did apply starter fertilizer. I know the weather has been warm and then cold so I'm guessing this has stopped photosynthesis but we've hard warm sunny days since the yellowing has started so I'm leaning towards a fungus.

Any advice?
Old 12-04-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I doubt you have a fungus. If you planted in November that's two month's too late. Soil temperature's have everything to do with growth and the ground is to cold for good grass. It's normal for fescue to go off color in this part of the country in the winter. If there isn't automatic irrigation that will slow thing's down. Too much nitrogen that isn't watered in can burn grass up. Shade can cause slow growth.

This is the weather at the airport. Unfortunately it doesn't have soil temp's.

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/crono...690&temporal=D

There seem's to be a problem getting soil temp info in this state online. You might have to do it the old fashioned way with a soil thermometer.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Around here, grass stays green even if the weather is cold. Even if covered by snow...if you don't mind uncovering it. Blue, rye, fine fescue, tall fescue. (But not zoysia nor Bermuda).
And, in theory, photosynthesis proceeds even in cold temperatures, (almost as fast as in warm temps).

I don't know what is causing the yellowing, in your situation. How tall is the new grass? What seed type and brand?

I should point out that perennial rye is highly sensitive to rust fungus during the first fall. This causes a major yellow coloration. How much rye was in the mixture? If any? Any signs of rust fungus? Look for rusty brown powdery, rust fungus spores.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It likely needs another app of fert… happens to us on September seedings. Starter goes down, all is green, and then you're ready again in December.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 12-17-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Here in sc, I've had several yards develop cool season fungus this fall/winter. An application of fungicide quickly chased out the yellow and brought back the beautiful normal fescue green. I used headway g which is good for cool season brown patch, yellow patch, and rust which have been my suspects.
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
3 Walker MT 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator
Old 12-21-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision8m View Post
Here in sc, I've had several yards develop cool season fungus this fall/winter. An application of fungicide quickly chased out the yellow and brought back the beautiful normal fescue green. I used headway g which is good for cool season brown patch, yellow patch, and rust which have been my suspects.
I would like to see diagnostic lab confirmation of what you think you're seeing.

A lot of people default to "fungus" if they don't recognize the problem right away as being something simple. Brown patch is not active on cool season grasses in cool weather. Yellow patch (R. cerealis) is very rarely seen in lawns -- it is usually found on creeping bentgrass putting greens and collars in the Midwest. If you ever see it in the South, you count on 2 things causing it: overfertilization and overwatering. Rust is seen mostly in the fall (usually over by mid-Oct in the South), but can also be seen in the spring.

By this stage of the game, it just sounds like a weak stand that got established late and is now stressing from cold weather and low light.

Most guys on this board like to spray first and ask questions later. This is a very wasteful and expensive way to go.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I'm sure you would like to see lab confirmation. You are welcome to drive here and get some samples and take it to a lab yourself.

The conditions and diagnosis I have described above have been confirmed by many local experts. I'm not really too concerned with your opinion on it but thanks. I wonder what magic was applied by another outfit or by the weather (more rain) to turn the once diseased yellow grass into beautiful dark green fescue again. Perhaps you can explain that one?

Not that I even need to defend myself to you, but I always seed in early September and spray only as needed. No sense in pouring pennies into the ground.
Posted via Mobile Device