Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2013, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Making money off Leaf Cleanups

I am a small company with just a few guys . But I see companies with 12 guys doing fall cleanups with a bunch of trucks. In and out in 1 hour. How are they actually making any type of money. Since around here people only want to pay anywhere from 250 to 400 for a cleanup. Is it all about volume, or are they actually making no money at all, but offering the cleanup as just a service.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh they're making money alright. They wouldn't be doing it if they weren't. Let's say hypothetically you have a crew of 8 guys with two trucks & equipment, you can bang out that $400 clean up in an hour, that's an average of $50/ man hour. Say those guys can do 6 of those in one day. That's $2400. Subtract labor & fuel and your looking at $1500 before your other overhead costs.

This isn't necessarily typical of every day/job of course but you can get the idea. How long it takes them is no indication of how much they're charging, unless they're charging by the hour, and with larger crews and companies you tend to charge by the job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2013, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandlawn View Post
How are they actually making any type of money. It is all about volume
Flip those words around and you answered your own question....
Old 11-27-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

7 am to 5 pm is ten hours. That is $2,500 to $4,000 gross.

My lowest priced clean up is $350. Highest $480. And that one should of been another $100 to 200 more. I am doing one small place for $300. Most of my clean ups have been in the high $300's.

Doing clean ups with 4 guy's sounds high. I get by with my 25 yo son and 72 yo friend.

My regular customers we have been doing weekly before Thanksgiving. We get one job done before lunch and one after.

Yesterday we did a one time clean up in 6 hours. $380. Even if I was to pay them both $15 hour that would be $180 labor. Less then $30 on gas and bags. Leaves me $170. Five days like that comes to $850 a week. Now to do that for 5 to 7 weeks is not bad. You do not have to be large to make money.

So look at your pricing and staffing.

The hardest part is to walk away from the $250 jobs. People tend to not see that they are better off staying home. Because when the price is to low there is not enough money being made to cover wear and tear, maintenance, repairs, equipment replacement costs, and equipment upgrade costs to be able to work faster. So one can take on more volume as the business grows.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
7 am to 5 pm is ten hours. That is $2,500 to $4,000 gross.

My lowest priced clean up is $350. Highest $480. And that one should of been another $100 to 200 more. I am doing one small place for $300. Most of my clean ups have been in the high $300's.

Doing clean ups with 4 guy's sounds high. I get by with my 25 yo son and 72 yo friend.

My regular customers we have been doing weekly before Thanksgiving. We get one job done before lunch and one after.

Yesterday we did a one time clean up in 6 hours. $380. Even if I was to pay them both $15 hour that would be $180 labor. Less then $30 on gas and bags. Leaves me $170. Five days like that comes to $850 a week. Now to do that for 5 to 7 weeks is not bad. You do not have to be large to make money.

So look at your pricing and staffing.

The hardest part is to walk away from the $250 jobs. People tend to not see that they are better off staying home. Because when the price is to low there is not enough money being made to cover wear and tear, maintenance, repairs, equipment replacement costs, and equipment upgrade costs to be able to work faster. So one can take on more volume as the business grows.
Your prices are low or your efficiency is low. Maybe both. 6 hours with three guys for $380! I prefer the $250 jobs being solo I knock them out in 3 hours. Doing 3 of those a day for $750 is what I like. I do have all day jobs 6-8 hours for 500-650. Why are you using bags? Why aren't you paying your son $15 a hour? Good help is hard to find for anything less.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2013, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I am big into fall clean ups this were I make the money to survive till snow flies. I also work with other contractors that fall behind and use these as fill ins on the route. I team up friend we fitt all equipment on truck and I drive my vac truck some days or we drive one truck and dump on the curb. We keep track of who's job it is and the hours and normally its wash or mabe he has a half hour more combined with all the jobs we don't worry about it I'll just buy a few beers at the bar. And if we need a helper we we pay buy the job and whos it is. It works out for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2013, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
Your prices are low or your efficiency is low. Maybe both. 6 hours with three guys for $380! I prefer the $250 jobs being solo I knock them out in 3 hours. Doing 3 of those a day for $750 is what I like. I do have all day jobs 6-8 hours for 500-650. Why are you using bags? Why aren't you paying your son $15 a hour? Good help is hard to find for anything less.
Posted via Mobile Device
My efficiency is low. I am going to be 60 this spring my friend just turned 72. I do not have a leaf loader and truck combination. My son fills in when I need to stay on schedule. It is not his regular job.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
My efficiency is low. I am going to be 60 this spring my friend just turned 72. I do not have a leaf loader and truck combination. My son fills in when I need to stay on schedule. It is not his regular job.
Completely understand. At your age I wouldn't be sinking anymore money into big ticket items.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-01-2013, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I Couldn't go to work doing leaves for less then $1700 a day per truck , with work days growing shorter,colder and all the rain I am glad we get 3 days a week to keep the guys and for them to pay their bills , as a company it is my responsibility to support them.

My average lawn clean up is $75.00 a week minimum in and out
With my largest going $2500.00 a 12 week season
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-01-2013, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

35dollar, after expenses and employee salaries how much of that $1,700 is left over?