Register free!

Old 02-25-2014, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im not sure what area or even what state Im gonna end up in but I can tell you the housing down there isnt cheap! Ive been looking at anything under $150k and cant get anything in a decent school district or a decent area. Looks like you have to spend over $200k to get in a decent area.

I found a ton of houses for cheap but they were in horrible school districts. Plus my friend that lives in St Pete says they dont have school buses! I said WTF? He said ya you have to drive and pick up your kids from school. Thats crazy!

Ive been looking in Florida and also Georgia for a house that I may buy and then move down when my business sells. My wife and kid are ready to move in now and I will follow when everything sells. I was hoping to get more house for my money but that is proving tougher than expected.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Sponsor

Sarasota,Charlotte Counties are still pretty good. really depends what your looking for.
easy-lift guy
Old 02-25-2014, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Every year a couple dozen northern guys get it in their heads that Florida is the land of milk n honey. Year round work and cheap cost of living are myths. Prices are rock bottom for the most part. The heat and humidity are like nothing else anywhere. As for thinking you can get that northern pesticide or irrigation license reciprocated. It ain't gonna happen.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Every year a couple dozen northern guys get it in their heads that Florida is the land of milk n honey. Year round work and cheap cost of living are myths. Prices are rock bottom for the most part. The heat and humidity are like nothing else anywhere. As for thinking you can get that northern pesticide or irrigation license reciprocated. It ain't gonna happen.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well said, to the OP - make your bank up north and retire to Florida, this is what people have been doing for decades.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
So I have been reading and doing google searches on the mowing/landscaping rates down in Florida. From what I have read it looks like anywhere from $60/mo and up for monthly maintenance? I have also seen where shrubs are included in these rates?
Also looked up paver installation prices and they look really low? We do alot of paver work.

What drives the prices down? Is there that much competition? Or is it that all the retirees penny pinch you guys for cut throat rates?

Right now Im starting to wonder if i can build up a business to the point where I have several crews out mowing/spraying/landscaping? Can you guys get $40/hr for labor there?
You mentioned Pavers, we have stopped bidding jobs for anyone other than current clients, they are a joke. Many latino crews will install, labor and material for $3.50 a square.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Ill bet alot more than that come down to try it. And Im sure some of them make it and some dont. Im sure my 115 inches of snowfall makes me just as miserable as some guys are down their with the heat. The grass is always greener on the other side and it always will be.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
Ill bet alot more than that come down to try it. And Im sure some of them make it and some dont. Im sure my 115 inches of snowfall makes me just as miserable as some guys are down their with the heat. The grass is always greener on the other side and it always will be.
You also don't have to work in those extremes. Even if you do snow most of your time is spent in the cab.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2014, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
You mentioned Pavers, we have stopped bidding jobs for anyone other than current clients, they are a joke. Many latino crews will install, labor and material for $3.50 a square.
LOL I turned in a bid today for pavers and one of the other biders came in at $3.50/sqft. When the homeowner ask I literally laugh and simple said It is impossible to have the project done correctly for that price.
We turn in bids with design,insurance certs, license and a small portfolio. Lets just say it is obvious who is the right company for the job.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-City Outdoors View Post
LOL I turned in a bid today for pavers and one of the other biders came in at $3.50/sqft. When the homeowner ask I literally laugh and simple said It is impossible to have the project done correctly for that price.
We turn in bids with design,insurance certs, license and a small portfolio. Lets just say it is obvious who is the right company for the job.
Nah that just includes the midnite madness paver discount from a local construction site or foreclosure home.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2014, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All great areas but hang around here awhile until the heat and humidity returns and you may have a change of heart. lol