Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Little Wonder SHO vs Optimax Impeller

Folks:

I can use some help deciding on a new blower. I looked at the Billy Goat, Scag, and Little Wonder (LW) and decided I like the LW with the 163cc Honda. I found one dealer that has the new Optimax model with an all metal impeller - this version came out in 2012 and supposedly moves a little more air. Another dealer has a new 2011 SHO model. The SHO version has a plastic or plastic and metal impeller. The handles are slightly different. The price difference is $30. The natural decision is to purchase the new model. I haven't used them side by side but for some reason I liked the SHO model better - it seemed to roll better and started on one pull vs two. For those of you with LW experience, do these machines handle identically - if side by side would I notice a difference. And, why did LW change the impeller - was it to improve the machine or were they failing. We only do a few yards so I expect this machine to last years. Do I need to be concerned about the plastic SHO impeller breaking ten years from now and not being able to purchase a replacement. Per LW office staff, the new metal Optimax impeller will not fit on the SHO model. Or, is the Optimax a true upgrade and a better performer. So, which would you experienced LW operators and mechanics recommend.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I owned a LW for two yrs. surprisingly nothing but problems s/thing out the exhaust blows hot air causing it to overheat poor design...dealer gave me partial credit which I put towards ne Billy Goat wheel blower w/ 10 hp Subaru motor I love it it rolls nicely and has more power than the LW Just my take good luck!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

What caused your LW to overheat and which model did you have.

I would think a problem like yours would be common. Maybe that is why they changed the impeller. If others offer the same comment I'll be getting a BG
Old 12-05-2013, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We run a 14hp LW Optimax and knock on wood, its been awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
We run a 14hp LW Optimax and knock on wood, its been awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Member

It was smaller than a 14 hp. I think it was a 10 hp My reason for buying the LW over the BG originally was the steel body but the BG, even though it is all plastic is tough as nails. Another feature I love bout the BG is the trigger handle allows operator to raise and lower the air flow direction simply by squeezing the trigger where on the LW you have to stop and set the height Ina fixed position The BG has big wheels which allow it to roll much more easily too. I believe I paid $1100 for my BG before the credit which I rcvr for the defective LW. I would go billy goat all the way
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I went LW because I didnt like the plastic, lack of tie down points, no front chute, or ability to close off the side chute. I went self-propelled and BG has no reverse. The power plant choices are all the same.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I went LW because I didnt like the plastic, lack of tie down points, no front chute, or ability to close off the side chute. I went self-propelled and BG has no reverse. The power plant choices are all the same.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Self propelled? What are the so models running?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a brand new one in the offseason on ebay for $1350 shipped. It was a floor model.

I did see some as I was looking for another, for $1550-$1600 shipped, brand new in the box.

We have lots of hill terrain and they get awful heavy to push.
Posted via Mobile Device