Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post

We go over FB often enough, and Google+ is gaining traction for a few on here (and vice versa), but Twitter doesn't get much mention. How do you see Twitter has being beneficial to an LCO? I think it has almost zero value, but I'm curious as to why you think it would be a good idea and how you would implement a Twitter strategy.
I'm also curious. I assume there's some value as far as Google and social signals - lots of traffic from retweets of your content = relevant, high quality results in the Goog's eyes. But dang, that is a LOT of work to get from where you're starting to the heavy retweet side of the river.

A few years ago I busted my butt to try and make Twitter work. The biggest challenge I found was that Twitter is about the conversation. Your stuff gets promoted when you engage with other folks and promote their stuff. It can really feel like being the new kid in school trying to walk right up to the cool kids' table at lunch and get a seat. I honestly think it's the most effortful of the social media platforms and there just weren't design clients out there to justify the time. I made some great professional connections that have helped me grow as a speaker and a writer, but definitely nothing that put money in my pocket.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have spent a lot of time on the social side of things. "Social Signals" are on Googles wish list- they play almost no part in rankings right now. Also, Google has very little access to FB and Twitter.

When, and if, social becomes a major signal it seems likely that G+ will be the major player. And even now G+ is benefial to SEO because of the way it impacts search personalization.

I do Twitter because I enjoy it, and it helps me find stuff to share on G+. It has been useful for industry networking, but useless for connecting with actual customers.

Do social if you enjoy social. If you do social, spend at least 50% on G+, the rest where you enjoy it.

My 2 cents. Feel free to disagree :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

With Twitter, I agree with all of your reasons it's not a go to method. I threw Twitter on to the "don't bother" local web marketing pile, right alongside advertising on YP.com. lol There are demographic reasons it's good for some businesses, but it just doesn't offer the ROTime for local services.

I'm a very active Twitter user, but see no redeeming value or gain for a local, service-oriented business to even bother. Heck, Facebook falls under that for more companies than you could ever get to admit or recognize how useless or misguided their attempts are. Twitter is all about immediacy and stream. To even rise above the static and volume is difficult but, even then, you had better catch that eyeball the moment you Tweet something. If the average user has somewhere around 130 followers, or more that they follow, that is a lot of data to retroactively sift through to find something that's much easier to see on a company's web site or FB Page. A local lawn service doesn't exactly fit the profile of something someone's going to spend much time looking for old Tweets from. Even via targeted, advertised Tweets, you're...spitting water...in to the wind.

As Headz and PC point out, if you enjoy social, do social. There's no harm. Definitely helps with industry/interest networking. But, if you think you have to do it, and it's something you force yourself to do, don't bother. Take that time and reallocate it to...please, for the love of God...write something for your own site.

And, as Headz and Xener point out, get familar with Google+. Google is clearly making sure it's value, both current and future, will be known (see: Youtube).

Last edited by tonygreek; 12-09-2013 at 02:20 PM.